Leak from hose.......**PROBLEM SOLVED :o)**

girlgeekFL

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 28, 2008
Please bear with me...I know NOTHING about pumps/pipping, etc.

We bought a house with a 15 year old pool. I have NO info about the pool size (we are guestimating) piping, etc., other than who the installer is. I have called the installer and they have been NO help with any information about the pool or installation, claiming it was too long ago.

My husband checked the pool this morning and it was down about three inches!! Found out that a garden hose (not put there by us but was there when we moved in last fall) hooked up to a pipe coming off the filter is leaking. Turning the valve that is connected to this pipe opens it up and water gushes. "Closing" the valve still allows water (more than a trickle) to come out. Tightening up the valve just got part of the valve handle broken off. :twisted: :oops:

Any ideas? Oh, it is wet around the pump/filter now because my husband took it out and cleaned it before I took this picture.

What I'm talking about is the broken handle/valve that you can see against the wall coming off the white PVC piping. The hose connected to it is painted yellow at that point, and it goes down to the ground and currently winds around the filter housing and it is the free end laying on the ground that is leaking water at this point.

IMG00110.jpg

Sharon

Re: Leak from hose.......

No, sorry, I wasn't more clear. See right against the wall there is a broken handle. There is a garden hose attached there. The previous owners painted over it so it is yellow at that point. It winds down to the ground from there and goes in front of the pump and over to the left and it is leaking water out of the end of it.

Oh, I see. Okay, there is probably an inexpensive washer in either the end of the hose or the valve that turns it...YOu could try replacing the washers to see if that helps. That little knob-valve may be bad though. Any idea what that hose is for? I've not seen a set up like that.

Welcome to TFP by the way. :wave: Others with more equipment knowledge will chime in if they have ideas to assist you. :wink:

Great minds think alike!! LOL I was wondering if it was a washer and I've already sent my husband up to the hardware store with a copy of the picture to see if he can get something to replace it, and also the valve as we (I) broke the handle turning it.

I have no idea what the hose is for. I have absolutely no info about this whole setup which makes this so frustrating when it comes to asking for help from anyone.

Thanks so much for answering my post!!

the garden hose is probably used to attach to a spiggot and fill your pool when you open that valve and the spiggot at the same time without the pump running.'

Your easy fix is to buy a 1.5" or 2" (cant' tell what size pipe that is) male threaded pvc cap...uncrew the cap with the valve attached to it and replace it with the cap...note apply pvc type pipe dope or teflon tape to the threads befor screwing it in. This will of course mean you will have to fill your pool in the future with a garden hose.

Otherwise you can replace the valve and hose washer

The hardware store told my husband to bring in the whole assembly so I managed to get it unscrewed and he is going to do that.

Thanks for your replys...we'll see if it fixes it.

dmanb2b....We have a well that we use to fill the pool, so I'm not sure if that is the purpose of this particular hose or not. There is not a spigot for water near the pump/filter setup. The well spigot is on the other side of the pool.

It really is frustrating not having any info on this pool.

Just curiously, since I'm not familiar with what backwashing is, could this be the purpose of this hose? Is backwashing when you have water coming into your filter but it exits out of the filter completely instead of going back to the pool? This whole assembly, if you "open" the valve while the pump is on, water pours out of the hose, but "closing" the valve did reduce the water flow... but not stop it completely, which is why I called it a leak.

frustratedpoolmom said:
You don't backwash cartridge filters though....

See, this is why I posted that...I had no idea and I knew you guys did.

I did just find online a manual for our pool filter. It looks like that hose comes from an auxilliary port:

"#4 auxiliary drain port is used to drain excess
unfiltered water (e.g., from heavy rainfall, etc.) to
waste or to drain filter if a heavy dirt load plugs
cartridge. Three-quarter inch hose bibs may be
fitted to these drains to allow easy drainage of
waste water away from filter area."

So, if that is the case, we won't cap it but get a replacement part (the one my husband took back to the hardware store).

Thanks again for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That's actually the intake line from your pump to your filter, not a drain line. You can still use it to partially drain your filter, but since the hose bib is higher than the pipe coming out of the filter, I don't think it'd drain it down completely.

MikeInTN said:
That's actually the intake line from your pump to your filter, not a drain line. You can still use it to partially drain your filter, but since the hose bib is higher than the pipe coming out of the filter, I don't think it'd drain it down completely.

Mike, you are right. I went out and the pipe is labeled intake.

Anyway we got a new bib and the problem is solved.

Thanks again for everyone's help. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.