Leak - could it get worse ....

Apr 29, 2015
Wheatfield, IN
Well it appears it finally happened - last year I started to notice that when my pump would shut off the filter housing would start to make a girglling noise......

Started to notice I needed to add water every few weeks...... Didn't really have the time to focus on it and didn't think to much as our cover not operational and therefore our pool was uncovered most of the year and just chalked it up to evaporation.......

The more I thought about it it concerned me but never to the point of worrying to much. This year upon opening the pool I continue to notice that once the pump shuts off girgling continues to happen. During opening week I let the pool pump run 24 hrs to help the filtering and cleaning cycle. During that week the pool cover was 100% on - when I opened the pool it had lost 4-5'' of water....... I got a leak

Now the question is where ?

I turned the pump off then isolated ( using my Jandy 3 way valve) the "intake" side ( pool filter housing and the bottom drains) - the gargling continued

opened them back up

I then isolated the pressure side ( my jets ) - the gargling continued

Then isolated both sides - then the gargling stopped

What's next steps ?? Entire pool deck is concrete so investigating or excavation is very difficult

Well it appears it finally happened - last year I started to notice that when my pump would shut off the filter housing would start to make a girglling noise......

Started to notice I needed to add water every few weeks...... Didn't really have the time to focus on it and didn't think to much as our cover not operational and therefore our pool was uncovered most of the year and just chalked it up to evaporation.......

The more I thought about it it concerned me but never to the point of worrying to much. This year upon opening the pool I continue to notice that once the pump shuts off girgling continues to happen. During opening week I let the pool pump run 24 hrs to help the filtering and cleaning cycle. During that week the pool cover was 100% on - when I opened the pool it had lost 4-5'' of water....... I got a leak

Now the question is where ?

I turned the pump off then isolated ( using my Jandy 3 way valve) the "intake" side ( pool filter housing and the bottom drains) - the gargling continued

opened them back up

I then isolated the pressure side ( my jets ) - the gargling continued

Then isolated both sides - then the gargling stopped

What's next steps ?? Entire pool deck is concrete so investigating or excavation is very difficult
Check your skimmers for cracks or gaps in the joints as those are the most common leak sources.

Try leaving the pump off and seeing if it continues to leak. If it only leaks when the pump is on theres a pressure side leak.

Gurgling may just be the filter draining back to the pool so hard to use that as a definitive indication of a leak.

I don't remember the filter gurgling or this happening the first 6-7 years though .......

I did replace the Jandy 3 way valves with new seals but that's really irrelevant . I agree however that the filter draining back really isnt a great indication as the filter housing sits higher than the pool level - I'm really not sure how or why it never drained back the first 6-7 years ....

thoughts