Leak at threaded connectiom

Jul 1, 2015
Thomasville, NC
I have a leak at the threaded connection where the water leaves the pump box and enters the filter. We just replaced all this plumbing and obviously that connection was not done well enough. I have read that the threaded connections are the most likely to leak and that there is no way to fix it except to redo it. I understand that is the most logical thing to do but I just can't deal with it. We've had so many issues that we have fixed and I just can't deal with redoing it right now. What other options do I have?

I have a leak at the threaded connection where the water leaves the pump box and enters the filter. We just replaced all this plumbing and obviously that connection was not done well enough. I have read that the threaded connections are the most likely to leak and that there is no way to fix it except to redo it. I understand that is the most logical thing to do but I just can't deal with it. We've had so many issues that we have fixed and I just can't deal with redoing it right now. What other options do I have?
Short answer: none.

If you try the easy fix and glob a bunch of silicon (or epoxy or that wrap stuff they show on TV) around the threads, the day will come when you want to take it apart and won't be able to. Plus it probably won't seal anyway, and now you've just created twice the work for yourself.

Cut the pipe and redo it then install a union where you cut it. An hour, maybe?

Nothing you can do about a threaded connection leak that's under pressure. Live with it if its just a drip or re-do it if it's more severe. If you install a union right at the exit from the pump, you can loosen it and tighten the threaded joint (or replace the thread sealant) without any grief, should ot ever leak again.

Reactions: setsailsoon
See below pic of a threaded connection. I did this plumbing last week. That grey union allows the threaded part to be tightened or loosened as needed. All threaded connections should have a union somewhere to allow movement.

20190430_162031.jpg

Reactions: setsailsoon
Threaded connections are most likely to leak if they're not tightened, sealed, and aligned properly. To do this requires a union as shown in Poolgate's post. You can just live with a minor leak. Or if you're like me and can't stand that take remove, insert union, clean the threads and wrap properly with Teflon tighten the screwed fitting, then reinstall the union.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.