LC/Bleach storage and measurement (specific to spa water volumes) container recommendations

Jun 30, 2022
Eugene, Oregon
A number of you recommended Tip-N-Measure or Perfect Pour Flask type containers for secondary storage and dispensing of liquid chlorine for a spa. However, I had some issues with these types of containers over the last year, primarily with caps breaking or not being liquid tight, and it wasn't until reading this thread that I realized that off-gassing of oxygen was likely the culprit of my issues with the caps.

Do any of you have recommendations for spill-proof dispensing type containers that use breather caps? Or should I just ditch this approach? I found it convenient and relatively safe, up until I had cap issues.

My spa's chlorine demand is typically about 8 fl. oz. per week, except of course during SLAM cycles. I typically dispense 2-4 oz. at a time for regular maintenance of FC levels and 8-10 oz. during SLAM cycles. I had been content purchasing 1 gallon 7.5% LC, transferring some of that into a 32 or 64 oz Tip-N-Measure container which was easy to handle for dispensing 2-4 oz. of LC. If the recommendation is not to use such a container and to pour directly from the primary LC container (with breather cap) into a measuring flask, then I might be more inclined to purchase 32 oz disinfecting bleach bottles at a higher per-oz. price, but with easier handling properties.

Thanks for your advice!

8-10 oz. during SLAM cycles.
Please explain what a SLAM cycle is. How often do you do this?

Just pour directly from the bottle you bought the bleach in. No need to transfer to another container - and safer not to transfer to another container too.

Reactions: Bperry
Please explain what a SLAM cycle is. How often do you do this?

Just pour directly from the bottle you bought the bleach in. No need to transfer to another container - and safer not to transfer to another container too.
Look on this site. SLAM = Shock Level and Maintain. I don't do it very often, maybe once every couple of months when I screw up on maintaining minimum chlorine.

Pouring directly from a 128 oz jug is not very easy, and I would still need to measure out what I'm pouring. Which is why I said I would be willing to go with 32 oz bleach purchases and a graduated measuring cylinder.

Look on this site. SLAM = Shock Level and Maintain. I don't do it very often, maybe once every couple of months when I screw up on maintaining minimum chlorine.

Pouring directly from a 128 oz jug is not very easy, and I would still need to measure out what I'm pouring. Which is why I said I would be willing to go with 32 oz bleach purchases and a graduated measuring cylinder.
It was the word "cycle" that threw me. You shouldn't have to repeat a SLAM regularly.
If you stay on top of dosing FC, you won't every have to SLAM again.

Get whatever size chlorine/bleach bottle that works easiest for you. If using the 32 oz size, I'd still hesitate transferring to another vessel. One can get pretty good at pouring off an ounce or two with a little practice.
Another option may be a Saltron SWG.

I myself never understood the need for all the fancy dispensers and measuring bottles.

I bought these a while ago - Amazon.com

When I need to add bleach (or acid) I put the cup on the table next to the hot tub. I get the original bottle of bleach or acid (or mixed bottle of Aqua Clarity). I pour it into the cup to the amount I need. I cap the bottle. I pour the cup into the hot tub. I rinse the cup in the hot tub. I put the cup and bottle away.

Maybe people are doing something else, but this works for me, and is about as simple as can be.

It was the word "cycle" that threw me. You shouldn't have to repeat a SLAM regularly.
If you stay on top of dosing FC, you won't every have to SLAM again.

Get whatever size chlorine/bleach bottle that works easiest for you. If using the 32 oz size, I'd still hesitate transferring to another vessel. One can get pretty good at pouring off an ounce or two with a little practice.
Another option may be a Saltron SWG.
Yeah I use the word cycle to imply that I measure FC and CC 2-3x per day during SLAM and keep topping up until my FC depletion rate matches baseline (I temporarily change my filtration settings to run circ pump and ozone 24hrs until FC depletion rate is down to about 5 ppm per 24 hours, which is what the ozone generator in my tub will do on its own with clean water; also remarkably my ozone generator is very good at destroying CCs because I rarely ever am able to measure any even when my water is stinky).

I fully understand the need to maintain my FC. I’m a dad with 2 young kids and don’t always get a chance to escape into the yard and prop the cover open for a while, especially when smoke is 200 ppm outside! Also my tub has relatively high contamination pressure from insects trying to get to the water and overspray from my landscaping sprinklers that I’m constantly having to adjust.

Anyways thanks for the comments. If I go to 32oz I wouldn’t use a secondary storage vessel. Just a measurement cylinder that’s large enough to minimize splash and spill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.