Lawn Equipment: Gas or Electric and why

If your front lawn is truly 10' x 20', you could just about use the Weed-whacker. look around the neighborhood and see what your neighbors are using, if you do not see any electrics that should answer your question. With that small of grass area, I would buy a gas mower because you don't have to keep more than a gallon of gas for the year in storage, no big deal. I would seriously check with my neighbors, that's going to be your best measurement what to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the Kobalt 80v mower, I like it. I don't have a lot of grass to mow and it barely drains the battery, it'll last a long time. The only problem is that I have yet to find a replacement blade, and I've yet to find a way to contact them and ask the what the ____.

I got the edger/weed whacker, and it's pretty nice. It has 2 speeds, and the trigger is a progressive speed trigger.

I have a much bigger plot (st Augustine) and all battery operated equipment. I bought 'greenworks brand either thru Amazon or their website directly and went with the more power sets (and larger batteries. After 3+ years of heavy use (a steep wild hill, grass and weeds to a foot) I haven't had any problems. I feel a gas string trimmer would be more powerful for the more fibrous weeds, but if I don't let them get so outta control it's ok.
And $100 seems high. I had a vacation mow for a large front and one side for $25...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I too just bought a 40v GREEN WORKS lawn mower from amazon.

Never in my life have I enjoyed mowing like I do with this mower.

When it encounters thick tough turf, the motor spins up to higher rpms....nothing stops it.

I can do the entire front yard (above average size) and still have 2 bars left on the battery
(starting on a full charge).

My neighbors commented how amazingly quiet it is and I like that I'm not smelling gasoline
or exhaust fumes.

Before you buy any mower at a big box hardware store, check out the machines at a yard equipment store. The mowers there, even if they are the same brands as at the hardware stores, may be of better quality, and the sales staff there just may be more knowledgeable about which machines will be adequate for your yard.

We also have st Augustine grass (YUCK) in texas. Ain't no way electric is going through that, especially after a period of rain and a growth spurt and you don't get to mow on your normal schedule. Heck, that grass tears up gas mowers and blades. Gas equals power. Give me a Toro gas mower any day.

I have watched a guy diagonal across the street use an electric mower and edger for a few years. The guy must have the patience of a saint. Takes him 30 minutes to edge the sidewalk which is about 50 linear feet at most. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. And we're not even talking mow time. Good for him I guess being green, but my Stihl does my 60' edging in under a minute. St. Augustine also eats up anything Lowes or Home Depot sells.

Agree competent on check local lawn story rather than big box.

I will take gas any day.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

At this point, my heart says gas mower and electric/battery trimmer, the reason why I say Home depot is because we figured we can just put it on our card and get 6 months with no interest and pay it off in that time which even if the payment was $50 a month, we're still ahead $50 a month and once paid off will be ahead $100 a month.

The area to the left side of the line is my yard:

So, for those wondering, I went with the following:

Yard Machines 21 in. 140cc OHV Briggs Stratton Self-Propelled Walk-Behind Gas Lawn Mower-12A-A1BA729 - The Home Depot

BLACK+DECKER 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 2-Speed String Trimmer-LST522 - The Home Depot

I used everything for the 1st time yesterday, I know alot of ppl are gonna hate on the fact that I settled on a big store buy, but for my wants and needs, these items were perfect.

The mower handled very well on my St. Augustine grass, the motor was strong enough to handle my little yard front and back, the self-propelled feature did come in handy and was a great feature!!! Assembly was quick and easy, I was mowing within 20 minutes of assembly.

The trimmer was perfect! I like the edger wheel function, you basically pull the handle out a bit and twist to convert it over and back to a regular trimmer, it handled my trimming needs and was definitely impressed with a battery operated trimmer.

So overall, I'm currently pleased with my purchase, obviously only time will tell how both pieces hold up, I would like to thank everyone that participated in this discussion.

Even though you may only have a small yard, I can imagine that you might be really disappointed with amount of work it will take to take care of your St Augustine grass with an electric mower. My 23hp gasoline mower struggles with my St Augustine if I wait longer than 4 or 5 days between mows.

We are also in Florida with St. Augustine grass. We have a gas powered lawn mower but went with electric for the string trimmer and edger. Originally I tried to use the string trimmer to edge but the grass was just too tough. Now I have an edger with a blade but when the grass gets too tall it's still hard to get through. When it dies I'll probably look into another edging option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.