Laveen, AZ O/B Pool Thread

Here is the Equipment Diagram - View attachment 402302

That plumbing diagram is way more complicated than mine, so I am not qualified to comment on it, but I am glad to see that you have the option to select returns separate from the IFC. Is there a reason, though, that the cyclone pre-filter is only on the water features (which you will not want to run all of the time)? I am pretty sure CMP has a sediment trap that should be installed right before your sheers (similar to sediment traps on gas lines) so that the flow from the sheers isn't broken up by a pebble or anything else.

That plumbing diagram is way more complicated than mine, so I am not qualified to comment on it, but I am glad to see that you have the option to select returns separate from the IFC. Is there a reason, though, that the cyclone pre-filter is only on the water features (which you will not want to run all of the time)? I am pretty sure CMP has a sediment trap that should be installed right before your sheers (similar to sediment traps on gas lines) so that the flow from the sheers isn't broken up by a pebble or anything else.
Darn good question! Let me check into that and get back to you. Thanks for looking and noticing that.

According to the pool Consultant -

"CMP ships their sheer descents with a "sediment trap" and plumbers do not install them. They claim they run into more problems with those things than any benefit they provide.

I put a Cyclone on dedicated water feature pumps, (which do not go through your main filter) to pull out dirt particles and debris before it hits the return lines to your water features. Same theory, but more effective, as the sediment trap; prevent dirt or debris from getting into the water feature and creating a blockage.

If you talk to the manufacturers of the Cyclone, they will tell you its two applications are as a water feature filter and as a pre-filter on your main pump to reduce the amount of dirt and debris your main filter has to clean out. That means your main filter is not "working as hard" and likely less filter cleanings will be required. (The Cyclone does need to be flushed out regularly ... by opening a flush out valve and running the dirty water out of it.

I do recommend keeping a Cyclone on the water feature pump, and at your choice, you could add a second on to the main filtration pump if desired"

So based on above I will probably go ahead with an additional Cyclone on the Main, Greatly appreciate you looking at it and providing feedback!

Love you design! Like @ddoggphx , mine has some similarities. Apparently we're using the same consultant... and I had/have many of the same questions. Haven't ordered my equipment yet and am still finalizing the plans. I think I'm going to do the 2 Multicyclone Pre-Filters as well. On for the main and one for the sheer descent. Funny, my equipment quote came in just over $20k, which I also thought was high... but I guess we're all in the same boat. You're making me nervous for when bids start coming in though! lol

Curious how far out your subs are quoting? I've heard from a few people that getting subs in AZ is a pain right now.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love you design! Like @ddoggphx , mine has some similarities. Apparently we're using the same consultant... and I had/have many of the same questions. Haven't ordered my equipment yet and am still finalizing the plans. I think I'm going to do the 2 Multicyclone Pre-Filters as well. On for the main and one for the sheer descent. Funny, my equipment quote came in just over $20k, which I also thought was high... but I guess we're all in the same boat. You're making me nervous for when bid start coming in though! lol

Curious how far out your subs are quoting? I've heard from a few people that getting subs in AZ is a pain right now.
I just started yesterday getting quotes so to early to tell yet, lets keep our fingers crossed that it's not to bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.