Last year my pool was awesome...this year I’m struggling: HELP!

How did your overnight chlorine loss test go?

It went from about 8 ppm FC last night, to 3 ppm this morning...so the loss is definitely >1 ppm, but it is better than I *think* it has been with my basic tests!

My FAS DPD should be in on Thursday, so I'm in a holding pattern until then. I'm going to continue putting in 2 jugs of 10% LC in each night...

Once I've got the FAS DPD, I plan to do the 2 jugs and the overnight loss test more accurately...I'll post those results and go from there!

My eventual goal is to get my CYA down to 70, so that I only need a few cups of 10% LC nightly to make up for chlorine loss. Slow and steady is the goal!

Got my FAS-DPD test in!

Posting everything I did this evening, along with my latest results...now I wait until morning to do my overnight FC loss test. Pool is still clear, but I’d like to keep it that way without having to use a jug or two of 10% bleach every night! Results and notes below:

Pool
---------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 21000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 11.0 (24 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (24 minutes ago)
pH: 7.2 (24 minutes ago)
TA: 110 (24 minutes ago)
CH: 220 (5 hours ago)
CYA: 90 (3 days ago)
TEMP: 86° (5 hours ago)
Test Results 07-05-2018 @ 09:48 PM
Free Chlorine: 11.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 110
Chemical Addition 07-05-2018 @ 08:59 PM
+ 175 Fluid Ounces of 10% Bleach
Chemical Addition 07-05-2018 @ 08:47 PM
+ 40 FluidOunces of Baume31
Test Results 07-05-2018 @ 08:43 PM
Free Chlorine: 3.5
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 120
Chemical Addition 07-05-2018 @ 04:39 PM
+ 20 FluidOunces of Baume31
—-------------------------------------
*First chlorine test with FAS-DPD*
Test Results 07-05-2018 @ 04:25 PM

Free Chlorine: 5.5
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 140
Calcium Hardness: 220
Temperature: 86°F

How did your overnight chlorine loss test go?

This morning’s results:
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 21000 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 8.5 (3 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (3 minutes ago)
pH: 7.8 (3 minutes ago)
TA: 110 (3 minutes ago)
CH: 220 (13 hours ago)
CYA: 90 (3 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 86° (13 hours ago)

So so I had a FC loss of 2.5 ppm, but I did notice my pH was back up, despite the muratic acid I used last night.

So, it would seem that a quick SLAM might be in order?

I can get ph down to 7.2 tonight, and since it’s the weekend, I can SLAM starting this evening without needing to worry about my work schedule throwing things off.

Does that get me going in the right direction? Any other recommendations based on my results? Thanks again!

I would suggest a SLAM. Realize at CYA of 90 it is tough to maintain it. Up to you.

pH will rise with your TA at the level it is. As you lower your pH you are reducing your TA. That should settle down soon.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Started the SLAM process tonight. Test results from this afternoon below:

So after my 2.5 ppm FC loss last night, I lost an additional 3 ppm from 5 am to about 8 pm.

Backwashed, refilled with the hose, used 6.5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine to start the SLAM, and brushed the walls and floor. I’ll continue to test and dose for a while this evening. Questions: should I bring the FC >35 ppm before I call it a night to keep it above 35 all night, or just get it back to 35 ppm first thing in the morning? Also, I’ve got a robot vacuum (maytronics nautilus cc plus), can that be used while SLAMing? Pool is still clear, just trying to get the overnight FC loss under control.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maintenance 07-06-2018 @ 08:41 PM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]------------------------------------------[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Brushed[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]------------------------------------------[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Chemical Addition 07-06-2018 @ 08:20 PM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] + 832 FluidOunces of Bleach[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maintenance 07-06-2018 @ 08:18 PM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Backwashed[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Test Results 07-06-2018 @ 08:04 PM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Free Chlorine: 5.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Combined Chlorine: 0.0[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] pH: 7.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Total Alkalinity: 110[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Calcium Hardness: 190[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Test Results 07-06-2018 @ 05:19 PM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Free Chlorine: 6.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Combined Chlorine: 0.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] pH: 7.5[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Total Alkalinity: 120[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Passed the OCLT this morning:D

Once my FC gets into the normal range for my CYA, how often should I test? 1x per day, 2x per day? I was thinking early morning and late evening for now, and adding chlorine to get me through the next day each evening.

Thanks for all the help so far!

You should be able to test once per day. Evening is fine. Be sure the FC you test at that time is always above your minimum. Preferably closer to your target level. Then add chlorine to raise your FC to cover the next day's losses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.