Dcbwelding

Jun 22, 2023
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All, I live in New England and have an above ground pool, 16,000 gallon. I’ve had this pool for 5 years and haven’t had a problem since the end of last summer. I started to see some what I thought was dirt in the pool. I correctly closed the pool and opened a month ago. Please see my pictures. I’m at my wits end! I’ve tried everything, scrubbing, chlorine, etc. I’ve gone to two pool places who made recommendations. I was told to raise my PH, wait an hour, add yellow out, then a series of chlorine additions (8) gallons in all. Then I was told the algae is dead because when I scrub it, it looks like dust rising the my pool gets cloudy. So she said the use Leslie pool stuff which gets rid of dead algae and pollen. I did this and it still hasn’t worked. I’ve spent over $500! I changed the sand 3 years ago, my pump is 2 yrs old. Should I drain the pool?? Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_5988.jpeg
    IMG_5988.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5986.jpeg
    IMG_5986.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5918.jpeg
    IMG_5918.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You've been "pool-stred. Just ask @PoolStored why we say that. You need to cut the cord and test/maintain your own water. You'l be glad you did.

First step is to test your own water with a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Then post a full set of those results here and we'll walk you through the rest. With the right test kit, the rest is much easier.

Be sure to read the articles in our Pool Care Basics page, especially the SLAM Process page which tell you how to kill & remove algae.

We'll be here to help you through it all. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

So she said the use Leslie pool stuff which gets rid of dead algae and pollen. I did this and it still hasn’t worked.
Hi and welcome! What was the Leslie pool stuff to get rid of dead algae and pollen? Was it a flocculant? If it was, did you vacuum it to waste or put it through you filter?
No need to drain the pool at this point but we do need some reliable test results - not from Leslie's. If you have anything you bought from them, besides liquid chlorine, return it and invest in a good test kit. Then once you get your test kit, stay out of the pool store. They've already cost you too much.

So she said the use Leslie pool stuff which gets rid of dead algae and pollen. I did this and it still hasn’t worked. I’ve spent over $500! I changed the sand 3 years ago, my pump is 2 yrs old. Should I drain the pool?? Please help!

Just ask @PoolStored why we say that.
I was in the same position as you in 2021. Got "Pool Stored" for %1500. You got off light. Found TFP, I don't get algae in my pool...

Follow @Texas Splash advice and we'll have you cleaned up in no time...

Do not drain the pool! You have algae, and in the grand scheme of things, its not even that much.

What have you been using to chlorinate? Pucks or liquid?
I’ve used powder and liquid. When I vacuum, the pool becomes cloudy. I backwash then run and as soon as it clears the algae goes back to the bottom as in the pics

This is mustard algae.

You need to SLAM.

SLAM Process

img_5986-jpeg.506374

I’ve used powder and liquid. When I vacuum, the pool becomes cloudy. I backwash then run and as soon as it clears the algae goes back to the bottom as in the pics
Powdered dichlor or cal-hypo?

Dichlor adds CYA, and you may have so much CYA that your chlorine isn't effective anymore. Cal-hypo add calcium and may cloud your water.

You only have to backwash the filter when the pressure rises 10% or so. Getting the water cloudy when you vacuum is good, it stirs everything up so it can get sucked up by your filter. When it settles, brush/vacuum again.

Get your FC up and brush brush brush. Order a test kit with an FAS-DPD chlorine test and a CYA test. This is a good one. TF-100 Test Kit

Once you have that, you can test for CYA and get your FC up to SLAM levels...that looks like it could be mustard algae, so I'd target those levels.

The more you brush and stir things up, the more contact the algae will have with the chlorine, and the faster your filter will grab it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.