Laser 250 Sand Filter - Pin Size Leak

Do you have a full model number for the pump?

Without that, I may be wrong (I assumed model number CMF 1000-H), at 50 ft. of head, it looks like that pump can move 70 gpm. To figure out how much filter that pump can backwash 70gpm/(15 gpm/sqft)= 4.7 sq.ft. (or a 29.25 in. dia. filter)

linen said:
Do you have a full model number for the pump?

Without that, I may be wrong (I assumed model number CMF 1000-H), at 50 ft. of head, it looks like that pump can move 70 gpm. To figure out how much filter that pump can backwash 70gpm/(15 gpm/sqft)= 4.7 sq.ft. (or a 29.25 in. dia. filter)

All we have is the attached sticker on the unit - which is pretty faded.

hallidina said:
Thanks! No one in my area has anything larger than the 24" in stock... so I either get that, or wait 10 days for something bigger, or buy a cartridge filter...
How you like the Hayward Pump? Not sure what you had before, but did you notice an improvement in your hydro bill? Pool cleanliness?
I ordered my filter on line. Bought the lowest total cost (price + shipping) I could find.

I'm happy with the Hayward Superpump. The pump is bulletproof - replaced the impeller (twice), basket (twice), & basket seal (maybe 3 times) in 20 years. The motor has been replaced or repaired 3 or 4 times in 20 years. I think the Superpump has been replaced by the Superpump II. Hayward also has some other, newer pumps and some review better than others.

BTW, Duraleigh's post that followed mine is very telling - he got a big filter, he's happy with it, & he'd do it again! Buy what you're confident in and you'll probably be happier in the long term.

Good luck!

Bama Rambler said:
At 1.25 sfhp it's a full 1 hp pump. It would be fine on a 24" and maybe a 27" sand filter but it'd be close to too small to backwash a 30" filter.

As I said earlier, I'd go with the cartridge filter.

If I stubbornly go for the sand filter, and keep the smaller pump for now, will I run into any issues? I intend on replacing the pump, but was hoping to do so early nxt year.
I like the idea of the cartridge filter, but have read some really negative reviews on having to replace cartridges more often than manufacturers claim they last for...

I think you will be fine as long as you don't go too big on the sand filter. Personally, I like sand filters, but I do not have water restrictions or an issue with where to backwash.

Do you know where you got the "1000" in your sig?

linen said:
I think you will be fine as long as you don't go too big on the sand filter. Personally, I like sand filters, but I do not have water restrictions or an issue with where to backwash.

Do you know where you got the "1000" in your sig?

You think 30" Hayward is too big for the pump?

The 1000 comes from the sticker on the side...Magnum 1000

Thanks for your help

I am having trouble finding it's performance curve (though I have found the magnum force which may be the same...but even then I am not sure which one we should be looking at). Because of that, I am not quite sure if it has enough flow rate to backwash the 30" (4.9 sq.ft.) filter. I have pmed "tfp expert" mas985 (he is our plumbing expert) and asked him to comment on this. He may need some detail on your plumbing, at least the size, length number of turns, height of pump in relation to water level, etc. of your suction side plumbing and also the plumbing details between the pump and where the filter is (if it is significant in length/turns).

Just to give you perspective that would be minimum sized for ~18000 gallon pool. That filter would work for your pool, but obviously you would have to backwash it more often. Your current filter is a 25" filter, so you can easily judge if you would be happy with another 25" filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I stick w/ the cartridge filter, which I can also get today/tomorrow... As someone earlier mentioned! Works fine w/ pump as well...
Are these hard to install? I'd like to do it myself. Think I could do the sand, as I've seen how it looks finished...a bit nervous about cartridge...

Have you used a cartridge filter before?

Do you like you current sand filter?

Installation will be basically the same, just running pipe to the right spots.

Personally, I like the sand filter on my pool much more than the cartridge on my hot tub. Backwashing my sand filter is a breeze (takes me a minute and I have to it at max once a month). Cleaning my filter takes me a lot longer (I have two that I rotate). Both my pool and my hot tub have great water clarity.

My own theory, and I have no way to prove this, is that as long as the backwash flow rate is higher than the filter flow rate, the filter should backwash just fine. Logically, it just seems like if there is a certain force the embeds dirt into the sand, then an equal or greater force should be able to liberate it. And since backwash mode usually has much less head loss than filter mode, backwash mode should always have greater flow rate. But enough of theory.

A few manufactures have recommended a flow rate of 15 GPM/sq-ft but I have also heard that down to 10 GPM/sq-ft is also acceptable. But assuming that the higher number is the target and the filter area is 4.9 sq-ft, then the backwash flow rate would be about 74 GPM. The CMF 1000-H will deliver 74 GPM around 50 feet of head. For backwash mode, this should not be a problem in most setups but it depends a little on the suction side plumbing setup (run lengths and pipe diameter) plus the backwash valve size all which contribute to head loss.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.