LapPool

Apr 1, 2023
Rancho Cordova, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I installed a large lap pool in 2007. It's still going strong but there are some issues that have always plagued it that I'm interested in fixing. Currently, I'd like to automate the pool pump run speed and time using my sprinkler controller, a microcontroller, and a ttl to rs-485 interface.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: No doubt we can help you with your pool upgrades. Be sure to update your signature with all of your current pool and equipment info. Also feel free to post some pics of the equipment pad. If you have some tentative ideas let us know. Often times automation concepts are driven by a specific manufacture, and some items simply go well together.

The pool has a deck level water line and no skimmers. Water flows through overflow gutters by gravity back to two surge tanks joined by a primary pipe and a secondary balance tube. This is essentially a commercial lap pool design, but utilizing residential pool parts. This is just an intro. I don't have time to work on all these projects at once, so I intend to post one at a time eventually.

Current Issue: I have a defective by design Century V-Green pump motor with a failed digital controller. Century didn't design any water resistance into the contoller mounted atop the pump motor, only dust resistance. Most of these are failing to water intrusion from what I gather on the internet. Inyo pools won't warranty it, no online retailers have the replacement controller in stock, and the company (Regal) won't deal directly with me. The motor is less than two years old. The plan is to build a microcontroller solution that connects via a TTL to RS-485 module to the variable speed motor controller.

Issue 1: Pool Leakdown. The hand hold coping around the overflow edges has small seams (by design) that allow water to pass such that the pool water level can recede by up to 4" (takes hours) after the pool pump shuts down. A typical commercial pool would have tile and mortar and would likely not have the drain back issue. The water returns to the surge vaults. The pump takes about 15 minutes to return the water to the pool when we want to use it again. I have tried sealing the gaps, but thermal expansion accross 75 feet is enough to break a silicone seal. I have an idea in mind, but would be interested in hearing other opinions.

Issue 2: Prevent Pump from Running Dry. The pump has a tall outflow pipe to prevent damage to the pump seal and we have only had to replace the seal once in 16 years, however, I would like to use an electronic system that cuts power to the pump after a few minutes if prime isn't achieved. I would also like to get an alert on my phone when this happens.

Issue 3: Automated Pool Fill. I currently use a sprinkler valve on a timer to fill the pool prior to pump start, but I'd rather take an approach where the incoming water only fills until a specific water level is achieved. The amount of make-up water varies based on weather (worst case being hot and windy). The water is added at the surge tank, which is also the only reliable place to gauge pool water level. I had a residential skimmer float system in the surge tank, but the inlet was too small to be practical. Issues 2 and 3 are related in that if the pool fill does not ocurr prior to pump startup, then the pump can lose prime.

Issue 4: Weathering of the pool equipment pad. I would like to build a structure that covers the pads from the sun (mostly) and rain that allows me 360 degree access to the equipment. A gazebo design would be nice, but there is only 4 feet to the fence, so it would look odd I think.

Last edited: