Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi.
We have a pool that was installed in 2008 and the ladder/stair railing anchor cups are starting to corrode quite badly. They are aluminum and bonded. What can I do about it? I know it is difficult to replace them because of the bonding issue. Is there anything that can be done? Would caulk help slow it down? I have a SWG and keep all numbers within TFP specs.
Thank you in advance,
John T
1681744877150.png

Replacing is ideal long term solution. I am not sure what anyone would have used aluminum for these in the first place, it's just going to have issues as you are having. Your best best is to sand away any corrosion and paint. And redo that as needed.

I can imagine the challenge of replacing and trying to make bonding connection. If you have pavers, easier to hide the work, but still a good bit of work breaking out the concrete the cups are encased in. If you have a concrete deck I would cut them out with a core drill and reset new brass or stainless ones with hydraulic cement. But you woul have to hope the bonding wire would still be accessible.

full

Being aluminum you might be able to use a hammer and chisel to bust them apart and salvage the bonding wire. You would need to pigtail onto it with an appropriate connector (I doubt there would be enough wire to work with unless you removed a lot of concrete). Once the cup is broken out. Core drill a 6" to 8" hole around the cup. Are theses still bonded? Good chance it's corroded away already.

For future reference brass is the best choice for anchors. Brass doesn't corrode when exposed to saline rich fluids or alkaline materials like concrete. The brass oxidizes, forms an adherent film that doesn't allow for oxygen permeations and stops corrosion. This is why brass is so widely used in maritime application. Aluminum and steel are both subject to corrosion from chloride ions and really aren't good choices for buried/encased anchors

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.