Lab testing equipment

ditchqueen

May 27, 2023
NH
Hello,
Question- I'm currently using the K-2005 test kit and hate it. I find the colors to hard to distinguish and would rather have an exact result. I work in the science field, and do pH etc testing, but not an AC by trade. Does anyone on here use AC equipment to test? I'm thinking about getting a cheap pH meter from an auction etc. If you do use it, do you just test pH straight? Or do you add chemicals? What other lab equipment do you use for the chlorine etc?
Thanks!

Hello,
Question- I'm currently using the K-2005 test kit and hate it. I find the colors to hard to distinguish and would rather have an exact result. I work in the science field, and do pH etc testing, but not an AC by trade. Does anyone on here use AC equipment to test? I'm thinking about getting a cheap pH meter from an auction etc. If you do use it, do you just test pH straight? Or do you add chemicals? What other lab equipment do you use for the chlorine etc?
Thanks!
Try the K2006. The colors don’t matter as they just change from one to another and the test is done when the color change stops.

The pH meters in normal consumer price ranges seem to be way more hassle than they’re worth and need to be calibrated and stored in way too exact conditions. But if you have lots of cash floating around, would be interested to see what you come up with.

Reactions: ditchqueen
Also, you shouldn't be doing the FC test with the k2005. The block test really only tests the presence of chlorine, and isn't accurate for how much. You need a k1515 / fas-dpd test for FC. That one goes from barbie pink to clear when you hit the right # of drops and there is no shade to discern.

Chemistry lab … I can build you one easily for about $20k … $30k if you want the results stored on an IBM XT running DOS 6.1. I only work in monochrome green terminals, that’s not negotiable…

I'm thinking about getting a cheap pH meter from an auction etc. If you do use it, do you just test pH straight?
I use the Apera PH60 you can get it on Amazon. Cheap? Do you mean inexpensive? Well, that’s relative. It was about $60 when I bought it a couple years ago. Now it is closer to $80.

Yes, you just test pH directly. It does come with calibration fluids.

Myron makes chlorine pens but those are four hundred dollars - as well as pens for every other test imaginable

+1 on the Apera PH60 … I have one and really like it. Takes some monthly maintenance though to keep calibrated and the test can get invalidated by air bubbles so it’s not just stick it in and forget

Try the K2006. The colors don’t matter as they just change from one to another and the test is done when the color change stops.

The pH meters in normal consumer price ranges seem to be way more hassle than they’re worth and need to be calibrated and stored in way too exact conditions. But if you have lots of cash floating around, would be interested to see what you come up with.
I'm either going to grab one from work thats going to be pitched or try to snag one from a biotech auction. I'll let you know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.