Laars pressure switch

Jun 23, 2017
Sparta, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I seem to only ever ask questions rather than providing advice and I apologise. However, I've got another one. We have a Teledyne/Jandy Laars XL-3 oil pool heater that's 14 years old (as best we can tell). It's stopped working so we had our heating company (as we have oil heat) take a look - we've been all over trying to find someone, anyone, who could work on the heater since the heater hasn't been made for years and as far as I can tell hardly anyone has oil pool heaters. They said that the problem is with the pressure switch, but that they couldn't get the part as they don't stock pool parts.

Looking at the part it's got a Jandy part number of R0045400 ( see Your Pool HQ ). However, it appears to have been made by Barksdale and has a Barksdale part number of E1S-H15-Q14 . Unfortunately, this doesn't appear in the Barksdale catalog. There's a whole range of Barksdale pressure switches and it looks like the E1S-H15-BR ( GALCO ) is a close match, expect for the fact that it has 3 terminals (NO, C and NC) instead of 2 (NO and C). I think in this case I'd just wire up the NO and C terminals and leave NC alone. Does anyone have any idea whether these 2 switches are interchangeable? Given that we've just had to pay to have our AC system replaced (turns out it was 28 years old, same age as the house that we've only lived in 3 years) I'd really rather spend the $92 rather than the $242 for the part, but since our pool gets a lot of shade and without the heater only holds a temperature of 75F throughout the summer if I have to pay the price I will.

I've emailed Barksdale to ask and have had no response so far, but the people on this forum seem to know everything...

Unfortunately, like so many pool stores, it's listed as "no longer available" - I think for the "real" part I'm only going to be able to get it from a store that bought a bunch and still has them lying around in the stockroom.

Unfortunately, like so many pool stores, it's listed as "no longer available" - I think for the "real" part I'm only going to be able to get it from a store that bought a bunch and still has them lying around in the stockroom.
Sorry, I missed that part.

Barksdale have got back to me saying that the basic E1S-H15 is the equivalent, so I've ordered one for just $70. I'll post again once it arrives so that any future readers of this thread can know whether it's successful or not.

Reactions: RonsPlc
To update the thread, I installed the pressure switch at the weekend and it was indeed the correct part. I had to have the heating company back out because the heater still wouldn't fire, but it turned out that while all the electrical were now good, the valve on the oil line had broken and was stuck closed - they replaced that, changed the oil filter while they were on and voila, the heater works again.

Reactions: setsailsoon
To update the thread, I installed the pressure switch at the weekend and it was indeed the correct part. I had to have the heating company back out because the heater still wouldn't fire, but it turned out that while all the electrical were now good, the valve on the oil line had broken and was stuck closed - they replaced that, changed the oil filter while they were on and voila, the heater works again.
Thanks for the follow-up and glad to hear you got it working!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.