Middleville, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi there. We have a 1 year old pool (actually more like 10 months) and this is our second season. We have a "true L" and the bottom of the L is a shallow sun deck, about 10x12. It is always covered with a brown silt. I brush it regularly and increasingly and more aggressively worked to move the water as I do it to prevent the sand/dirt/silt from settling in the same area, but it does anyway, every time. I can only keep the sun deck looking clean for 2 or maybe 3 days max. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have a polaris robotic vac but of course it moves randomly and even if I start it on the sun deck it won't stay there long enough to create more than a clean "landing strip". Kinda don't know what to do about it. I've tried aiming the nearest jet every which way to try to create more movement in that area, to no avail.

EDITED to add a photo. It's not dramatic in the photo but I think you can see how the main pool is a clean blue and the sun deck has a tan dirty tint to it.

Last edited:
You mentioned changing your return angles/directions? Are the returns on the sunshelf or the main pool area? I have a liner covered stair, and there's always more dirt or whatever on the stairs than the main pool area. Also, what's the depth of the sunshelf? Wondering if it's deep enough for a robot to function properly on it. Looping in @ctasche as they're in the process of a vinyl build with a sunshelf.

You mentioned changing your return angles/directions? Are the returns on the sunshelf or the main pool area? I have a liner covered stair, and there's always more dirt or whatever on the stairs than the main pool area. Also, what's the depth of the sunshelf? Wondering if it's deep enough for a robot to function properly on it. Looping in @ctasche as they're in the process of a vinyl build with a sunshelf.
The sun shelf is maybe 12-18" deep. It is just deep enough for the robot, but I kind of already addressed that and explained that it's not much help. I can't control the direction of the robot, so I can stick him on there and he creates a clean path and then shoots off to the deep end. :p

EDIT: the filtered return and the two main drains are in the deep end, as far away from the sun deck as you can get.

I've looked at those and I think I would spring for one, possibly. I'll look into them a bit more, thanks!
Look for the threads on here - several reviews as to which one to get for what - I’m sure some others will have recommendations …

EDIT: the filtered return and the two main drains are in the deep end, as far away from the sun deck as you can get.
Got it. I have a return right next to my liner covered stair, so I can keep water flowing over it even though every once in a while the robot will move up to the bottom step and I've seen it on the middle step once, but I don't expect it to hardly ever get there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.