Krusty's pool build

do you have any pics of that auto pool cover? i would like to see it, and also your equipment pad, if you dont mind. your pics looks great, especially by the lake. also, are you supposed to have a fence around it? or did you not include the pics?

wow.. the pool and that outdoor kitchen u have is beautiful!!

One thing that ive never seen before was they backfilled around the pool and poured the concrete around the pool before the pool floor was even done.

Is that how alot of companies do it? Im so used to seeing things done differently. Here we do the pool floor, install the liner, fill the pool.. and then back fill and pour concrete... im sure it makes no difference, just weird when your so used to seeing it done a certian way

i love this site :-D

would also like to see pics of the pool cover and filter area!

mudrider420,

Thanks for the compliment.

The building codes here require either a 5' tall fence or a safety cover. I chose to do the safety cover. It was more expensive, but gives me other benefits like keeping the UV rays out, keeping heat in, and keeping debris out. I also think it is a lot safer than a fence and I worry a lot less.

Below are pics of the pool cover and equipment pad. The battery charger for my camera stopped working, so I had to take the pics with my cell phone. If you want to see clearer pics or pics of other details, just let me know and I will retake them once I get a new charger.

Here is a distant pic of the cover. You will notice that under the diving board I had them do a step up in the concrete. With the pool being a free form shape, I tried to find something to do that would somewhat help hide the leading bar of the pool cover. I didn't want the leading bar just sitting there on the deck where people would trip over it. With having the step there, hopefully people won't forget about it since they have to step up all the time. Well, that was my thinking....we will see if it works.
Photo0039.jpg

The leading bar looking back towards the cover pit.....
Photo0043.jpg

The pit that the cover rolls up into. The leading bar does not go back into the hole. The wheels on the leading bar go right to the edge of the pit. I also got a "walk on" cover for the pit. The normal cover is relatively thin aluminum that provides little support. These are stainless steel trays that are filled with concrete. I originally wanted the walk on cover to extend over the leading bar, but the cover guys talked me out of it due to cost and the problem of providing enough support for the extra extension of the walk on cover panels.
Photo0041.jpg

The wheels on the leading bar and the flush deck mounted track.
Photo0040.jpg

This summer I am going to contact the pool cover guys and see if I can get another strip of the canvas. I want to use that under the walk on cover panels to help hide the cover pit. I don't really like having that 4" gap showing when the cover is closed. I also worry about wasps, hornets, and other unwanted pests making a home in there.

Here are pics of the equipment pad.
Photo0048.jpg

Photo0047.jpg

Here is the input plumbing. The two input lines on the left are the two skimmers. The one on the right is the main drains.
Photo0045.jpg

This is the return plumbing. Coming out of the Heat Pump the water goes through the SWCG (IC-40). Out of the SWCG, to the top of the first valve is the line to the two returns. The next valve is for the jets in the back of the lounge seat. The next valve is to the deck jets, one line to each side of the pool (two jets on each side of the pool). There are two stubbed lines on the right. One is for a french drain under the pool liner. If I have a problem with the water table, I can hook a pump up to this line to help keep it under control. The other line is for a side pressure cleaner if I ever decide that I want to get one. The line is connected to the metal side panel of the pool, but not cut through the liner.
Photo0046.jpg

Heckpools,

Thanks for the compliment. I am getting real antsy for summer to finally get there. It has been torture looking out at that pool all winter long.

I am also used to seeing the pool filled prior to backfill and concrete. All of the other pool builders that I interviewed did it that way. This was the only one that did the backfill and concrete before filling. One of the reasons they gave me was that it helped to keep the concrete and dirt out of the pool (since there was no liner or water!). They also said it made their job of setting the liner and filling the pool easier since there was a clean surface surrounding the pool. I don't remember them having a technical reason for it, it was just their preference. Since they are a very reputable pool company here, I didn't question it a whole lot. It did seem a little risky to me. If there was a problem with the pool plumbing or something, it would be very expensive for them to fix it since they would have to tear up the decking. But that would have been their expense and not mine.

ya know... it dioes make alot fo sense to do the dirty work around the pool before filling... the mason's always make such a mess inside the pool!! it drives me nuts!

but again, like u said.. 1 problem with plumbing and out comes all the new concrete lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.