Kids in the pool

Our rule is no one, including adults, swims alone. My wife is in the medical field and is concerned that an adult swimming alone can have some kind of medical event(stroke, heart attack, seizure, etc) and will end up quickly drowning. Having that same medical event outside of the pool can result in a much different outcome. However, this doen't prevent me from floating around in a raft since I consider this to be out of the water. :-D

My thoughts on this got reinforced yesterday evening. I was swimming with the boys, got out to dry off before cooking dinner. Told them it was almost time to get out. They were having a sort of splash fight (mutual) when the youngest started to cough right at the same time my oldest sent another wave of water. I could see what was happening, but it was too late to stop it, even though I was right there. The look of fear on my youngest's face scared me. My oldest felt bad, he didn't mean to make his brother choke on the water, but I was glad I was there to make sure nothing truly bad happened as a result. My point being, kids don't always think before acting, especially if an adult isn't around. It only takes a second!

poolneophyte said:
Our rule is no one, including adults, swims alone. My wife is in the medical field and is concerned that an adult swimming alone can have some kind of medical event(stroke, heart attack, seizure, etc) and will end up quickly drowning. Having that same medical event outside of the pool can result in a much different outcome. However, this doen't prevent me from floating around in a raft since I consider this to be out of the water. :-D

I understand that train of thought, but if you subscribe to that, then you should not be driving alone, out hiking in the woods alone, climbing a ladder alone, you should never ride a bike or motorcycle. There are a LOT of things that can happen to a person in the course of daily events.

I will continue to take my life in my hands and swim around my pool by myself.

-dave

poolneophyte said:

If that is the case, then I shouldn't allow my kids in the pool with me in their as the lone adult. What if I have that medical event then. Subscribing to this philosophy would require 2 adults in the pool any time there are kids. That's a bit far-fetched. There are inherent risks in everything we do. Not taking them results in a boring life.