Keeping in ground spa open in the winter

dshuster

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Hunt Valley, MD
Hi,

I know this question has probably been asked over a hundred times but wanted to get peoples experience that have done this in the past. Ten years ago, my wife and I bought a house with a pool/spa combo in Hunt Valley, MD that did not come with a heater. In all the years living in the house, we never used the spa. My pool is over 20 years old and needs to get resurfaced and coping/tiles redone. I thought while we will be doing this next year, I wanted to get all the options for this remodeling project.

Our system has:
- Spill-over spa to pool which makes no sense because you would be mixing hot and cold water.
- Single variable speed pump for pool and spa
-A Polaris pump that is just for the pool
-A single filter for pool and spa
-A blower for the spa which is uphill in a different location

Here are my questions:
1)The equipment pad is downhill from the pool and spa. How do I protect the external pipes from freezing during the cold months?
2)Do I buy a separate pump and filter for the system so both can be run independently in the spring and fall months? Or keep it on one system and just close the pool in the fall-spring and just run the spa but filter seems too big for just a spa.
3)Was thinking of getting rid of the coping around the spa and build up the wall a little so I can put a permanent heat cover on the spa. Will the pool side with freezing water still make it inefficient for the spa?
4)Would you get a propane heater or heat pump for the spa?
5)Get rid of the spa all together and buy a standalone spa:) I feel like building an inground spa in Maryland or north does not make sense. This would be a great design for somewhere south like South Carolina or south.

I have attached pictures below.

Also, if anyone can recommend someone that can do resurfacing and tile work in Maryland, I would greatly appreciate names and numbers.

Thanks
-Dimitry

Attachments

• IMG_20230614_180646-res.jpg
    IMG_20230614_180646-res.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230614_180613-res.jpg
    IMG_20230614_180613-res.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230614_180558-res.jpg
    IMG_20230614_180558-res.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 3
Dimitry,

I'd say it can't be done, but I live in Texas and have no clue about closing pools.

I suggest that while it is summer, you try out the spa, even without heater, and see how comfortable it is.

I find the few Gunite spas that I have been in are not at all like the standalone spa that I have.

On the plus side, I use my standalone spa in the winter more than I do in the summer.. I've been out in snow storms before, and it was kind of cool. Mostly because it does not snow often here in the DFW area.

Let's see what Allen and the Dude have to say.. Calling @Newdude and @ajw22 I think they both live in a place that gets cold in the winter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

1)The equipment pad is downhill from the pool and spa. How do I protect the external pipes from freezing during the cold months?
You blow them out with a cyclone blower through bungee plugs in the returns. They'll let air/water out, but not in. For the skimmers you either use a blow through gizzmo, or lower the water below the skimmer to blow it and use a regular gizzmo.
Or keep it on one system and just close the pool in the fall-spring and just run the spa but filter seems too big for just a spa
A filter is never too big. The gas bill on the other hand........

Will the pool side with freezing water still make it inefficient for the spa?
No worse than the frozen ground on the other side. But heaters have limits and that will be below them at that point.
4)Would you get a propane heater or heat pump for the spa?
If you are looking to extend the season, gas is the only way to go. HPs stop working sooner.
5)Get rid of the spa all together and buy a standalone spa
My vote. Concrete spas are for entertaining IMO, where everyone is having too much fun to realize they only have one jet each and it's pretty uncomfortable. For the full experience, you need a hot tub, which works all winter unlike the built in spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.