Keep adding stabilizer but CYA doesn't go up

Q: Where exactly was the sock placed? How many lbs. of stabilizer did you place each time and how long did it take to dissolve?

Is it possible, that the stabilizer (CYA) dissolved or was sent to the filter in clumps? And that is where it is slowly dissolving and could take longer? Can you find your receipts to determine exactly what you purchased, when you purchased, and how much you purchased? This could create a timeline and you can obtain more accurate data. Your wrote in your first post "Probably".

Could cleaning the DE filter have removed any CYA, that did not fully dissolve in the pool?

It is possible but unlikely that the cya went to the filter and was backwashed. It is most likely that when the FC dropped to 0 or near 0 bacteria grew that consumed the the cya. It has been a recurring theme this year.

Combined Chlorine is 0

Sock was placed in the skimmer, the last batch I bought was on 8/20 and i've used 5lbs of it. 2lb right after getting it and then 3lbs on the 9/5. Most of it is dissolved within a day. The guy at the local pool store had the same thought on the stabilizer being clumped in the filter so he recommended I completely clean the filter, add the DE back in and then add the stabilizer.

Combined Chlorine is 0

Sock was placed in the skimmer, the last batch I bought was on 8/20 and i've used 5lbs of it. 2lb right after getting it and then 3lbs on the 9/5. Most of it is dissolved within a day. The guy at the local pool store had the same thought on the stabilizer being clumped in the filter so he recommended I completely clean the filter, add the DE back in and then add the stabilizer.

It is probably best to allow the stabilizer to slowly dissolve in the pool water, hang it from the side. This way, you know for sure that is was not clumped up in the filter. The only other option, is the liquid stabilizer. Here in NJ, it is around $38 per gallon. It raises the CYA about 38 ppm for 10,000 gallons. Even though not recommended because of cost, this may be your best bet. Please make sure that you pour a little bit in a 5 gallon bucket and mix it properly. I have worked with it because my friends do not want to take the time with the other method. I use a drill and have an extension that mixes paint (only for the pool), and boy does this work. This is what I use at the end of the drill. The item can be picked up at the paint store, Lowe's or Home Depot. Never any issues with the CYA not increasing.

Question: I am wondering if the powder CYA (Stabilizer) can actually be dissolved and mixed in the pool. Maybe this is a faster way. Hopefully somebody with more advanced knowledge can tell me if this ever was done or worked.

> Question: I am wondering if the powder CYA (Stabilizer) can actually be dissolved and mixed in the pool. Maybe this is a faster way.
>Hopefully somebody with more advanced knowledge can tell me if this ever was done or worked.

Not really. It best to use the sock method either in the skimmer or hung in front of a return.

It's listed as a liquid, but is actually quite thick. Here's a couple responses from previous members:
I wouldn't pour it in the skimmer, it's some thick stuff!! Mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket of pool water and pour it around the pool. After you pour it out, you will have to cut the jug with a box knife and rinse the rest of it out into a bucket. It so thick, a lot of it will stay in the jug if you don't rinse it clean. It's expensive, but it's instant CYA. Check the jug. One jug should add 30 ppm to 10,000 gallons of water.
Thick is an understatement. I shook the bottle like crazy and still had this giant oozy white blob at the bottom of the bottle. I ended up filling the bottle with pool water 5 or 6 times to get it all out. This stuff barely classifies as a liquid!

It is not liquid. 90% of the bottle if very thick. You squeeze it out into a bucket and then mix thoroughly. What I have done is to add water, put the cap back on and shake real well. Then some will dissolve and you pour back into the bucket and mix again. Repeated the process about 10 times until everything is removed out of the bottle.

This is why I asked about the dry stabilizer, as the same protocol can be followed in mixing it in the pool. I can not imagine that there is something different in the so called "liquid" stabilizer, but I trust TFP members exclusively.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought some liquid off amazon, its $30 so you might check that out to save $8. Why does the liquid have to be mixed before adding it to the pool?

Was this the 1 gallon bottle or 1/2 gallon. When I checked, it was more expensive. Would be good to know.

I just checked Amazon and the price has come down. Early spring it was more expensive, unless I missed something.

Last edited:

This is why I asked about the dry stabilizer, as the same protocol can be followed in mixing it in the pool. I can not imagine that there is something different in the so called "liquid" stabilizer, but I trust TFP members ...

There is a chemical difference... Quoting Chem Geek, from another thread:

" Actually, the liquid is produced from the granular form. One basically adds lye to the cyanuric acid solid to produce sodium cyanurate, but to keep it in a slurry this needs to be done with special mixing and temperature. "

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Question: Does anyone know if CYA degrades over time, like bleach? I purchased a gallon from a friend for $20 and it is stored in a cool environment. For this price, it is best to have another one on hand if stays fresh. When I e-mailed the company, this is what they told me.

Thanks for contacting us. You will be happy to note that there is no expiration date on any Natural Chemistry product provided they are stored in a cool dry place and tightly closed, they are formulated to last until they are used. Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions or concerns

FYI, my friend purchased this with me and they hired a pool company. The pool company told them they did not need it. Still sealed.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a chemical difference... Quoting Chem Geek, from another thread:

" Actually, the liquid is produced from the granular form. One basically adds lye to the cyanuric acid solid to produce sodium cyanurate, but to keep it in a slurry this needs to be done with special mixing and temperature. "

Thanks siningpond. This is why I wrote, I trust TFP members, as they know best. Appreciate your quick response.

I was one of those who reported that adding CYA (HDX brand in my case) didn't show up on the test 2 weeks later. I had added 2 lbs via the sock-hanging-in-front-of-return method, and I also used trichlor tabs for a couple weeks of a vacation. No change; I still measure the CYA level around 35-40.

I just added the other 2 lbs, this time with the sock-in-skimmer (which I like better; less setup to get the sock hanging just right from a stick. Just pour it in, tie it off, and drop in the skimmer basket). I'll test this weekend to see what it shows.

If I didn't have the standard solution, I'd suspect the reagent, but testing the standard solution is right on (if anything I have to work hard to see the dot all the way down to 50). So will see what the next test shows...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.