K-2006C - Bad odor?

cwspool

Jul 20, 2023
McLean Virginia
I imagined my first post here on these forums would be more technical than this, but here goes:

I just bought my first test kit, a K-2006C and am curious about a funky smell... is it just the new kits plastic components off gassing or could something in there have spilled, and is it a problem?

None of the reagents look as if they are missing any volume, the kit seems clean... is this just new plastic smell that will pass in a few days (it's fairly potent) or is it likely some chemical leaking out that I should store in the garage? All things equal id prefer to store the test kit in conditioned air space and not the garage, but would be fine to let it offgas in there if that's what's going on.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: BodeFamily
I keep my testing supplies in a tackle box and when I open it I smell an odor. I wouldn't necessarily call it "potent" but it's noticeable. So you're smelling it even when box is closed?

I imagined my first post here on these forums would be more technical than this, but here goes:

I just bought my first test kit, a K-2006C and am curious about a funky smell... is it just the new kits plastic components off gassing or could something in there have spilled, and is it a problem?

None of the reagents look as if they are missing any volume, the kit seems clean... is this just new plastic smell that will pass in a few days (it's fairly potent) or is it likely some chemical leaking out that I should store in the garage? All things equal id prefer to store the test kit in conditioned air space and not the garage, but would be fine to let it offgas in there if that's what's going on.

Thanks in advance!
If you don’t see anything leaked, it’s probably just “new car smell”.

My old TF100 and current TFpro have a distinct chemical-y smell, using the same reagents as yours. It's not noxious, it's just present as soon as the kit is opened.

I believe it's a single reagent that has the odor. One time while testing the breeze blew just right and the bottle i was squeezing had that smell. With the case closed I was happy to move on and I didn't even note which bottle it was. (Likely TA or CH which I rarely need to test).

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
I'm now kinda curious to who the stinky one is. I actually thought it might be the 004 but maybe it is the TA or CH reagent. Anyhow if it bothers you that much is there a closet inside you could keep it in? You may risk degrading reagents prematurely if left in hot environments.

even when closed but a lot worse when opened... I'm leaning toward me being a baby about the smell, but I guess I'll see...
My kid can smell the kit after I’ve opened it in the kitchen (back side of the house) when she comes down the stairs (front side of the house). I can absolutely smell it, but it’s not unpleasant to me. She isn’t a fan at all, but I marked it up to her being a teenager. They're not fans of anything really...

I’ve had my kit for months and the smell has not gone away. FWIW I keep it on the top shelf of a closet inside my house.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.