JXI 400P Check ignition steps error

fsyed13

Aug 25, 2023
Mohnton, PA
Hello Experts,
Hope all of you are doing great!
I know this question has been asked before multiple times, I swear I tried reading all of them and did not feel it addressed my concern. Hence posting.
I have a JXI400P, Bought it used from a private seller who needed NG rather than Propane. The heater seems to have been manufactured in 2020. The heater worked fine, until I was away for work, came back home and it had killed the breaker.
What did I check and What have I done till yet:
1. Opened the heater up and tried to troubleshoot what was tripping the breaker
2. Turned out it was the transformer, even when not connected to the board would trip
3. Replaced the transformer with this Amazon.com . Bad idea?
4. Heater turned back on. Blower turns on, I smell gas, tries to ignite but does not
5. Cycles through that 3 times and then gives me the check ignition steps error
6. I checked if any wires were loose and then also checked the ignition rod, looks braaand new!
7. Put everything back, same problem, smell gas but no ignition.
Need your help. Cant really call warranty and I live in a small town so closest repair guys is weeeeeeeeeeks out.
Thanks in advance.
Fahad

Welcome to TFP.

See the Troubleshooting guide on page 24 in Workbook JXi Pool&Spa Heater which is a training manual for pool repairmen.

You have to ask yourself what blew out the transformer. Transformers rarely fail. Other components may also have been damaged.

@swamprat69 may be helpful as you work through the Troubleshooting Guide.

Thank you @ajw22 ! I did go through the manual and will do so again. I was wondering the same thing, transformer doesnt seem like something that would die but now everything seems fine apart from the fact that it doesnt ignite. I hear the click too that should trigger it but nothing happens :(

Something seems to be off. Main breaker for pool heater tripped? Is there any other equipment on the breaker besides the heater? Transformer shorted? Transformers fail when the primary winding (thinner wire and more turns in the winding) fails (open or shorted) due to a short in the secondary winding. But the secondary winding is protected against a short by a properly sized fuse in the secondary feed that should blow before the primary winding is effected. Much of the troubleshooting process is visual observation (not just readings from test instruments) and knowledge of the sequence of operation. E.G. does the ignitor glow when it is powered or is the flame pattern correct when the burners light off. That is why the sequence of operation is listed on most Fenwal ignition controls ( prepurge, interpurge, postpurge, # of tries for ignition, ignitor warmup, trial for ignition time Etc.). Troubleshooting must follow a logical train of thought along with knowledge of the sequence of operation. Where in the sequence of operation is something not happening when it should be happening. More specific information would be helpful. Heater is secondhand ( brand new and not used since the seller couldn't use Propane heater ) ? Age of heater ( most main heater components [ gas valve and possibly igniton control etc. ] have a 4 digit date code on their label showing month and year of manufacture ( E.G. 1017 or 1710 for Oct. 2017 ). How long have you had the heater that it has been operating correctly?

From your observations if the ignitor is glowing after warmup time listed on the igniton control and the click you hear is the gas valve solenoid opening ( confirmed by voltage measured at the gas valve or lightly holding fingers on gas valve when it powers up ) then you could have either a problem with the propane feed ( you might need a manometer ) or dirt/obstruction in the gas/propane feed or combustion chamber, or failure of one or more of the gas valves redundant solenoids is inhibiting the burners from lighting off. Still wondering about reason for breaker tripping and transformer failure (possible intermittent short somewhere )?

Last edited:
So I have some updates.
1st i realized my mistake. The HSI needs 120v to start, even if the heater is wired for 240. So i fixed that and put in a new transformer. The heater started up and started heating. So I was like amaaaaaazing, we are back for pool season. Only to have it fail again after 36 hours. This time its not tripping the breaker but the heater is not turning on.
this will now be the 3rd transformer it has killed. Once i replace it, everything seems to work perfectly until it does not. Any ideas?

Info:
Heater was never used because the owner needed a natural gas one and the pool company installed a propane one.
The manufacturing date on the heater says 2020. So technically its 3 years old.
When working after replacing transformer, it cycles fine, like it should.
I have noticed though that ever since i got the heater installed, my pool pump has been running really hot. They are both on a 20A breaker and should technically not take more than 14amps at max load.

Do you have a clamp on ammeter?

Your filter pump and JXI heater is on the same 20A CB. Anything else on the breaker?

The 20A CB GFCI?

What model pump?

Check the current draw of the pump and heater using the ammeter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.