Just took the Intelliflo VS (now *VF**) plunge

jeeman

Jun 3, 2010
Well, I just ordered one from Amazon....

I think it's a dirt cheap price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AL ... d_i=507846

The local pool company said that it was cheaper than their cost!!! But they will install mine for $225. Not a bad price, IMHO.

Plus, I should get $100-200 back from SDG&E. So between $800-$1000 for a low energy pool pump.

It is a bit unnerving to buy it online, but Amazon should stand behind their product/vendor.

Jeeman

Re: Just took the Intelliflo VS plunge

I've been very happy with Amazon. The only problems I have had have been when the merchant wasn't really Amazon, so now I watch closely to make sure the merchant is Amazon, and think twice if it is one of the many other companies that sell at their site.

Re: Just took the Intelliflo VS plunge

Bah, alot happened in the last 20 minutes. I called up SDG&E, and they will only do a rebate if I got a qualified controller for the VS 3050. So, that was adding $450 to the cost, which took me all the way up to $1250.
$790 - Pump
$450 - Controller
$225 - Labor
-$200 rebate
--------------------
$1265 with 1 year warranty

SDG&E said that the VF required no controller for the rebate. The VF was costing $1250...so I might as well just get that. My local pool company could match the online price for that and warranty it for 3 years:
$1300 - VF Pump with tax
$225 Labor
-$200 rebate
------------------------------
$1325 with 3 years warranty coverage.

Wow, my cost just went up, but I know I will break even in those 3 years.

kellyj said:
I asked my pool salesman what the difference between the VS of VF was, and he wasn't sure - I guess its the controller or more energy savings with the VF?

Well, what I hear is that a controller is built-into the VF. There is a marginal increase in savings, but I read it doesn't amount to much.

Jeeman

I'm pretty sure the pump and motor are identical on both units. The difference is in the drive controller on top. I would steer clear of a pool salesman who doesn't know the difference. Unless he doesn't offer it. My VF is 3 yrs old this month. Works great. It is a little more temperamental than a VS, but I prefer knowing the volume or rate pumped is consistent regardless of filter loading, especially for water features and my pressure cleaner. Never have seen an incremental cost on my electric bill since putting pool in. And I do keep up with such things. I fugure it costs between $5-20/month to run it and the swg for a 26k pool, depending on filter loading and time of year.

The VF has a fancy timer and can be configured in terms of GPM, in addition to RPM. The VS only does RPM and doesn't have the timer. There is also a VS-SVRS model which has the timer but not the GPM mode and also includes a safety vacuum release (not required if you have a correctly designed drain system).

The GPM mode is easier to setup, but has no significant advantage if you take the time to figure out what the ideal RPM for your pool is. Calculating the ideal RPMs can be a little "fiddly" sometimes, while using GPM is usually much simpler. In either case, once configured correctly the energy savings is nearly identical.

Well, another update. The local pool company called me after checking my malfunctioning pump and told me that it was working, but one of the 240V lines was loose. "Do you still want the VF pump?"

I told them to hold off and I'll mull it over. I appreciate their honesty....they could have just made their buck by telling me my pump is jacked up.

So, now I'm debating....do I get the VS and a controller? I have another Star-rite that powers the spa jets. Having a controller control both and the heater, instead of fiddling with switches would be nice. On the other hand, that controller can run me $500 on top of the $800 pump. I could just go with the VF and then continue to use the "light switch" to operate the spa jets pump.

What would you guys do?

kellyj said:
jeeman said:
What would you guys do?

I always like to think long term, so are the energy saving (or possible savings) going to pay for the $1k+ investment? How long are you going to be paying the energy bills? years? And what is the convenience worth?

Thanks, Kelly. I decided to just go with the VF. At $.29/kwh, I will break even in 18-22 months. I can't wait!

Jeeman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.