Just starting new pool with swg

2nd Day of slamming

Merged by moderator, please keep related posts together to maintain continuity of story. Thanks, jblizzle

I did the oclt last evening and I lost 6ppm added what pool math told me to add to bring my number back to slam 31 waited about 4 hours and checked 27.5 added the 33 oz to bring me back to 31 waited 2 hrs with swg running also and test shows 27.5 added the 33 oz again will test in 1 hour this time?? this is frustrating could I have other problems it is 100 degrees here today

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well I went ahead and did another oclt last evening and it shows a loss of 1.5 ppm WTH hmmmm im not sure what to do now? FC was 14 last night 12.5 this morning I ran the swg for a hour and it returned to 14 all showing little to no CC where should I go from here?

Hi Joeam,

Remember, there are 3 things that must happen before you can stop your SLAM process:

1. Clear water

AND

2. CC < 0.5

AND

3. You pass the overnight loss test of 1 ppm or less of chlorine loss.

It sounds as if you have completed 2 of the 3 so you aren't done. Continue your slam until you pass them all. And make sure you turn the SWG off before performing the overnight loss test.

Hi Joeam,

Remember, there are 3 things that must happen before you can stop your SLAM process:

1. Clear water

AND

2. CC < 0.5

AND

3. You pass the overnight loss test of 1 ppm or less of chlorine loss.

It sounds as if you have completed 2 of the 3 so you aren't done. Continue your slam until you pass them all. And make sure you turn the SWG off before performing the overnight loss test.

Well my oclt from previous night was a loss of 1ppm and I went ahead and slammed yesterday anyway and checked again overnight and loss shows 1.5 also it says run pump constantly until slam is complete and I am afraid this pump will burn up from running so long? should I just keep running it?

I didn't see it mentioned but during a slam you should be brushing all the surfaces of the pool including the ladder at least once a day. Helps with water circulation and getting anything clinging to the liner or ladder out floating in the water where the chlorine can kill it and the filter can hopefully trap it.
Even though it sounds like your SLAM is done, brushing is still a good idea to help keep everything clean.

I didn't see it mentioned but during a slam you should be brushing all the surfaces of the pool including the ladder at least once a day. Helps with water circulation and getting anything clinging to the liner or ladder out floating in the water where the chlorine can kill it and the filter can hopefully trap it.
Even though it sounds like your SLAM is done, brushing is still a good idea to help keep everything clean.

I was brushing every day sides bottom and ladder thanks for all the help folks

Also, take the time to read and possibly re-read Pool School so that you have an increased awareness of what's going on with your pool and how to manage it. I have skimmed articles that don't exactly apply to my situation and yet find later I am aware of it in case a problem comes up.
Keep a record of your test results, with a notation of what your own pools goal levels are. Your pool goal levels are based on type of pool, how you chlorinate, sun exposure, etc. This way you can see patterns of pool behavior and keep track of what you're doing that works and what doesn't.

Be careful treating your pH when your chlorine level is over 10. Being greater than 10 causes the pH test to be unreliable and you might end up overdosing the pool and once your chlorine level drops you find your pH far too low. Just be aware.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.