Just started conversion last night (complete 2011, so happy)

Re: Just started conversion last night

frogabog said:
I'm gonna ignore that and continue to enjoy and love pea soup...
Me too!

Day 2:
Today is overcast so I dosed it again this morning. It doesn't look much different than yesterday other than there seems to be more and more yellow particulate floating around. I'm backwashing a few times a day, even when the pressure isn't up that much to clear out the yellow crud in the filter. I put a panty hose on my skimmer basket to help catch the yellow crud before it even gets to the filter.

Ready to laugh? Yesterday evening, just before we were heading out to dinner, I decided to do a quick backwash since the pressure was up to 20. (it normally runs around 15) This was my first backwash since the major yellow crud started, so I walked over by the end of the backwash hose to see what that gross stuff looked like up close. I heard a "pop" and next thing I knew my back and legs were soaked with it. Still pretty grossed out by the "toxic waste" look my pool has, I was like EEEEEEEK! The backwash hose had popped off and the backwash was peppering me like a fire hose. I finished the backwash then went in the house and showered. Yuk! I was willing to burn my clothes but my wife opted to wash them.

Rick

Approaching the end of day 3, the end is nowhere in sight. The yellow particulate seems to be clearing a little, at least in the upper foot of water. The FC still does not register on my test strips.

I put in my aqua-bug vacuum figuring that it would be a good idea to start pulling up the goop from the bottom of the pool. I backwash about three times a day even though the pressure is not up much. Each time I get about 30 seconds of concentrated yellow goop. I keep putting in fresh water afterward to assure proper operation of the skimmer. You guys were correct about the grass; it doesn't seem to be hurting it.

I took out the ladder and cleaned off the yellow goop. It came off relatively easily with a broom and hose water. I'll leave it out till the conversion is complete.

I'm sitting here drinking a glass of wine, wishing we could be swimming rather than converting. The temperature is in the lower 80s and the humidity is ridiculous. As little nice weather as we get in the north it seems like such a shame to be wasting it!

Rick

Have you ordered your FAS-DPD test kit yet? The strips are junk. Personally I would not want to be converting without one. If chlorine isn't registering... how do you know you have enough in the pool for the conversion process?

Hang in there, we're rooting for ya!

Hey, Rick

Zeobrite has been batted around here since it first came out. Do a search and you will find several threads to read. Capsulized, zeobrite gets mixed reviews but a more important question is what is wrong with sand in the first place?

Despite all those "filters as low a XX microns" claims from alternatives, here is a picture of my pool (through about 8 feet of water) with 7 year old sand in the filter....nothing else.[attachment=0:2wv1i48c]clear pool water.JPG[/attachment:2wv1i48c]

Attachments

• clear pool water.JPG
    clear pool water.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 64

Not saying anything is wrong with sand. I had DE originally. I chose it for the claims that it filtered smaller particles. My Baquacil pool jammed it up regularly to the point where I never had enough water flow to filter well. I then shifted to sand and had a much clearer pool. Since I'm about to clean out my filter soon anyhow, so I wondered if this was a worthwhile option. I can search for the answer.
Rick

Day 4:

The corner appears to have been turned. The water is distinctly more blue, and much less yellow crud is coming out when backwashing. Yee ha! I still can't see very far into it, but it looks much better. I have been doing a little over a gallon about every 12 hours. The test strips still show no FC. Looking forward to the arrival of a real test kit. I bought two more 5 gallon jugs of 12.5% prochlor. Hopefully I can return one. I bought two gallons of Clorox at BJs as well. The price per gallon is very close either way. The 12.5% is less hassle.

Rick

Attachments

• 4 - Aug 8.JPG
    4 - Aug 8.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 54

You are on the downhill side of the conversion now. You should see a drastic improvement soon.

As for your question about Zeobrite, I have no experience with that particular product. I used some Purifiber Plus a while back and was very impressed with the results. I tried it because I was having a problem with some very fine pollen my cartridge filter wasn't catching. I don't plan to use it all of the time. I wouldn't worry about a filter aid at this point in your conversion. Your water will clear up on it's own very soon. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in a couple of days!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wait for confirmation from a more experienced TFP'er --- But I'd try to get my PH down closer to 7.2 while shocking. The chlorine will work better that way. Once you add some acid you can put in Chlorine again after 30 mins.

I know high FC levels mess up PH tests, but since your FC was so low in the last result.... it may be safe to assume you need to add some Acid to get the PH down.

Day 6:

I could see the bottom this morning. Still murky but much better. I could also see all the sediment on the sides and bottom. I brushed the sides and put in my aquabug. It ran all day but I churned up enough sediment that I still can't see the bottom this evening. I brushed the sides again.

Rick

frogabog said:
Adjust ph to 7.2 with acid before you begin shocking. Then don't bother to test PH when the chlorine is over 10ppm.
Not quite sure what you are telling me. I thought that I have been shocking every 12 hours. Do you mean prior to the next time? So I assume I put PH MINUS in?
Rick

Not sure what PH Minus does exactly (in addition to lowering PH it may add other chemicas/reactions). Must of us just use Muriatic Acid for this purpose.

If your FC gets anywhere near 0 --- I think most of the more known posters here will say you're not shocking properly. Might as well get the acid in (or ph minus), and your PH to 7.2 before putting your next dose of Chlorine in.

Once you get your PH to 7.2 --- begin adding chlorine to shock levels again.

OK. That is different direction than I was given earlier. I was told that during the conversion it is fully normal to have FC levels drop off quickly and that I should ignore the PH. My FC has consistently been dropping off quickly and is just now starting to not drop as far. I was viewing that as headway in the right direction.
Rick

Oh --- by all means, follow the advice of the guys/gals who have been here longer then I. I only posted to give the best advice I could incase nobody else was around to help out. :)

I do think that since the FC dropped to 0, you might as well take the chance to lower PH again, if just a touch. If someone else disagrees, take their advice and not mine. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.