Just some questions (and a brain dump)

Alacayo22

May 8, 2023
Miami, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hey guys,

This is going to be a little bit of a brain dump so I hope you don't mind.

I have a 12k pool with a SWG TurboCell T-Cell 15. Since we purchased the home, I always had maintenance people come and do everything. I didn't know a lick about anything and we just got in the pool. About two months ago, our pump died. We went from a single speed to the intelliflo VSP. Literally within the week of installation we ran into more issues and so we decided to re-plaster the pool (and put in a new skimmer). At that point, I decided I was going to fire all maintenance people and take over myself. The plaster was completed and over the next 5-6 weeks I've been on this board learning as much as I can (including getting a proper test kit!).

Since we have a SWG, today I finally dumped in salt. According to the system, we have about 800ppm of salinity. My drop test showed 1,200ppm. So I put in 5 bags of salt to see where i'm at tomorrow and if needed I can drop in bag 6.

My first question is regarding the pump & swg. Our old pump was connected to our Aqualogic PS-8 and ran from somewhere between 1pm-8pm. I believe this is when the SWG would kick on and chlorinate the pool, correct? The new VSP is not connected to the Aqualogic since it is my understanding that they cannot communicate with each other. I operate the VSP manually.

My main question and what I assume is the case, is that the "pump" light on the Aqualogic still needs to run in order for the SWG to kick on. If that is indeed the case, then I need to program the Aqualogic pump times to match that of the VSP pump, correct?
Currently the VSP is running 24/7 at:
Speed 1) 8am-12PM @ 3000 RPM
Speed 2) 12PM - 8PM & 2400 RPM
Speed 3) 8PM - 8AM & 850 RPM
After reading around here over the last weeks I'm considering lowering the 1& 2 RPMs and upping the #3 RPMs.

Additionally, after reading the Aqualogic/SWG manual, it seems that my SWG is meant for double the size of my pool (not sure why the previous owner chose that). The SWG has always been set at 75%. After reading the manual 75% seems like a lot. Should I put it to 50% to match the size of my pool?

I might be forgetting something but that's it for now. I appreciate your time and any help! Thanks!

Hey guys,

This is going to be a little bit of a brain dump so I hope you don't mind.

I have a 12k pool with a SWG TurboCell T-Cell 15. Since we purchased the home, I always had maintenance people come and do everything. I didn't know a lick about anything and we just got in the pool. About two months ago, our pump died. We went from a single speed to the intelliflo VSP. Literally within the week of installation we ran into more issues and so we decided to re-plaster the pool (and put in a new skimmer). At that point, I decided I was going to fire all maintenance people and take over myself. The plaster was completed and over the next 5-6 weeks I've been on this board learning as much as I can (including getting a proper test kit!).

Since we have a SWG, today I finally dumped in salt. According to the system, we have about 800ppm of salinity. My drop test showed 1,200ppm. So I put in 5 bags of salt to see where i'm at tomorrow and if needed I can drop in bag 6.

My first question is regarding the pump & swg. Our old pump was connected to our Aqualogic PS-8 and ran from somewhere between 1pm-8pm. I believe this is when the SWG would kick on and chlorinate the pool, correct? The new VSP is not connected to the Aqualogic since it is my understanding that they cannot communicate with each other. I operate the VSP manually.

My main question and what I assume is the case, is that the "pump" light on the Aqualogic still needs to run in order for the SWG to kick on. If that is indeed the case, then I need to program the Aqualogic pump times to match that of the VSP pump, correct?
Currently the VSP is running 24/7 at:
Speed 1) 8am-12PM @ 3000 RPM
Speed 2) 12PM - 8PM & 2400 RPM
Speed 3) 8PM - 8AM & 850 RPM
After reading around here over the last weeks I'm considering lowering the 1& 2 RPMs and upping the #3 RPMs.

Additionally, after reading the Aqualogic/SWG manual, it seems that my SWG is meant for double the size of my pool (not sure why the previous owner chose that). The SWG has always been set at 75%. After reading the manual 75% seems like a lot. Should I put it to 50% to match the size of my pool?

I might be forgetting something but that's it for now. I appreciate your time and any help! Thanks!
Larger cell running at less than total capacity lasts longer. Not sure why you would ever need 3000 RPM. Pick a speed that allows the pool to skim and the SWG to produce chlorine and you're good. You could pick a higher speed to skim for a while each day and then lower it to where the chlorine production continues, then add about 200 RPM (I like 10%) to that point to allow for the filter getting dirty to not stop chlorine-generation.

Reactions: mknauss
Larger cell running at less than total capacity lasts longer. Not sure why you would ever need 3000 RPM. Pick a speed that allows the pool to skim and the SWG to produce chlorine and you're good. You could pick a higher speed to skim for a while each day and then lower it to where the chlorine production continues, then add about 200 RPM (I like 10%) to that point to allow for the filter getting dirty to not stop chlorine-generation.

thank you! Do I need to adjust the (old pump) time on the Aqualogic? Right now the old pump "comes on" from 1-7PM or thereabouts and if i'm correct that is the only time the SWG will chlorinate. Right? Is that time sufficient? Do I leave it or increase it? Again, my new VSP is set for 24/7 at different speeds.

Right now the old pump "comes on" from 1-7PM or thereabouts and if i'm correct that is the only time the SWG will chlorinate. Right? Is that time sufficient? Do I leave it or increase it? Again, my new VSP is set for 24/7 at different speeds.
One of the benefits of the swg is that it can constantly add chlorine to your pool so you do not have periods where the levels could fall dangerously low. 6hr runtime at 100% on your t-15 in your 12000 gallon pool shows to add 3.7fc. Assuming that is what you burn daily, I would reset the swg to run 24hrs with your pump and drop the output level to 25%
I run my vsp pump 24/7, most of that time it is running ~1000 rpm which uses ~75 watts. Spa spillover runs 2x daily at ~1300 rpm and I've been running ~2500rpm for about 30m daily as that seems to be high enough for the return on my baja ledge to blow the silt off of the ledge. At the low rpms the my skimmer works well enough in combination betta 2 se so i don't find the need to run higher rpm longer.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.