Just purchased a property with a very neglected pool

techguy802

Apr 25, 2024
Vermont
Surface
Plaster
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a property that has a very neglected in ground pool. I got the swamp drained and found that it had been used as a dumping ground for all sorts of stuff. Now that it's all hauled out, I plan to paint it myself and hopefully get it up and running!

A few questions...

I found the paint that the previous owners used and it's an acrylic latex pool paint. It sounds like I can get away with pressure washing, acid washing, and then a couple coats of this same type? I'm under the impression that I can't use a 2 part epoxy since the latex was already used?

The pool light is missing. Is it easy for someone that knows pool to identify this light niche and what type of replacement light would fit it?

2 out of the 4 returns are missing the covers/caps and the other two appear to have chunks missing from them? I tried a Google Lens search but can't find anything that looks like them. Same goes for the missing skimmer cover?

I appreciate any and all help! I'm a noob when it comes to pools but I would love to get this functional again!IMG_2321.jpegIMG_2354.jpegIMG_2355.jpegIMG_2363.jpegIMG_2376.jpegIMG_2377.jpegIMG_2378.jpegIMG_2379.jpegIMG_2380.jpegIMG_2381.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a property that has a very neglected in ground pool. I got the swamp drained and found that it had been used as a dumping ground for all sorts of stuff. Now that it's all hauled out, I plan to paint it myself and hopefully get it up and running!

A few questions...

I found the paint that the previous owners used and it's an acrylic latex pool paint. It sounds like I can get away with pressure washing, acid washing, and then a couple coats of this same type? I'm under the impression that I can't use a 2 part epoxy since the latex was already used?

The pool light is missing. Is it easy for someone that knows pool to identify this light niche and what type of replacement light would fit it?

2 out of the 4 returns are missing the covers/caps and the other two appear to have chunks missing from them? I tried a Google Lens search but can't find anything that looks like them. Same goes for the missing skimmer cover?

I appreciate any and all help! I'm a noob when it comes to pools but I would love to get this functional again!
Id pressure test all the plumbing before doing anyrhing other than clean up. There may be a reason it was abandoned.

The pool paints are not very durable, most seem to last 1-2 years

That makes total sense about testing the plumbing first. I kind of jumped the gun and got excited about seeing it somewhat cleaned up and empty. I've pressure tested copper plumbing in a house and vehicle coolant systems under vacuum, but this is my first time dealing with a pool/pvc. I'm guessing I should get some rubber plugs for the returns, skimmer and floor drain and pressurize each section from the pool house, using the multi valve to isolate each section?

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: kimkats
Show us some good pictures of the equipment pad so we can see the plumbing set up and help out how to pressure test. Need the # of returns and skimmers and if there's a main drain too.

Here are some pictures of the set up. It has what I believe are 4 small returns (1 on each wall, photo in last post) 1 skimmer, and a main drain. The main drain has an opening in the side of it and a plug that was in the bottom. I removed the bottom plug tonight and got a little bit of air that came through the few inches of standing water from the rain we've had, but none of it drained out of the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_2383.jpeg
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    573.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2384.jpeg
    IMG_2384.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2386.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2387.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 17
The owner of the property a couple people back stopped by Friday and checked out the pool. He wasn't sure why the pipe was added on in the front that connected the Return line to the Skimmer line. (first pic in my 1st post) The ball valve on that was also cracked, so I removed that section of pipe. I also removed the automatic chlorinator since it looked ancient and the inside of it was disintegrating. I figured I could always add an in line one back down the road.

Today I did some more messing around with the pump. Previously, I couldn't get it to draw anything from the main drain (water too low?) or the skimmer. Today I shop vac'd out the skimmer pipe and a bunch of Crud came out. I then got the pump to pull from the skimmer and put out the returns!

I ordered some 1 1/4" test plugs from Amazon that should be here tomorrow. What's the best way to pressure test the main drain, skimmer, and return line? Disconnect the pump at the union and thread on some sort of air adapter?

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 3