krischela

May 2, 2021
Normal, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
The pool company opened my pool a little earlier than usual. It will realistically be several weeks before we will actually use the pool. I did an initial water test with these results:
FC - 2
CC- .5
Ph - 7.7
TA - 120
CH - 350
CYA - 40
Water temp - 55 degrees (Heater off and SWG off because of low temp.)
My questions:
- Should address the water imbalance now? Or cover back up and wait until closer to when when we’ll be using. (If addressing now, suggestions?)
- Despite having an automatic cover, the pool has quite a bit of dirt, leaves, and clumps (!!) of dead worms. I have a dolphin, but wondered if anyone has experience with this.

Any/all advice is welcome and appreciated!

Your system is actually running now correct? If so, go ahead and use this time to start cleaning the pool from dirt and debris. I would add some liquid chlorine to increase the FC to about 6. That should last for a few days. Just keep an eye on the FC so it doesn't fall too low. At some point you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure there are no issues with algae.

Welcome to another season! :swim:

If your pool is 55 degrees, you could wait till the temperature is closer to 60 degrees (temperature at which algae will actively grow). But it were me, I would keep it open.

First and foremost, you need the pump to run for at least two hours before accurate testing can take place.

Once you have a test done after circulating for two hours, making adjustments can be made. If a SLAM is needed, follow the instructions for a SLAM, if a SLAM is not needed, personally, I adjust FC first (prevents algae blooms), for this I use sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Once the FC is at a good level you can begin to adjust your CYA. Your PH is high/normal, and your TA is a little high. As the season progresses, if the PH raises, you can adjust with Muriatic Acid, with a TA of 120, I suspect your PH will increase, and this will be needed, as you add the Muriatic Acid is added, your TA will also be lowered and your PH rise will slow down.

In review, raise your FC and CYA to match the Chlorine/CYA chart. The rest can wait.
2023-04-19_13-14-42.jpg

Your system is actually running now correct? If so, go ahead and use this time to start cleaning the pool from dirt and debris. I would add some liquid chlorine to increase the FC to about 6. That should last for a few days. Just keep an eye on the FC so it doesn't fall too low. At some point you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure there are no issues with algae.

Welcome to another season! :swim:
Hi, yes, system has been running since Monday. I will adjust for FC and watch it. Thanks! Now need a plan to get the debris out…

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks so much, the pump has been running since Monday, so good to go there. I don’t think a SLAM is needed and will add some bleach and watch it until the SWG kicks on. Really appreciate your help.
If your pool is 55 degrees, you could wait till the temperature is closer to 60 degrees (temperature at which algae will actively grow). But it were me, I would keep it open.

First and foremost, you need the pump to run for at least two hours before accurate testing can take place.

Once you have a test done after circulating for two hours, making adjustments can be made. If a SLAM is needed, follow the instructions for a SLAM, if a SLAM is not needed, personally, I adjust FC first (prevents algae blooms), for this I use sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Once the FC is at a good level you can begin to adjust your CYA. Your PH is high/normal, and your TA is a little high. As the season progresses, if the PH raises, you can adjust with Muriatic Acid, with a TA of 120, I suspect your PH will increase, and this will be needed, as you add the Muriatic Acid is added, your TA will also be lowered and your PH rise will slow down.

In review, raise your FC and CYA to match the Chlorine/CYA chart. The rest can wait.

Hi, yes, system has been running since Monday. I will adjust for FC and watch it. Thanks! Now need a plan to get the debris out…
I opened with caterpillars, crickets, spiders, worms and maybe even a raccoon or two in bottom. Use net to get big stuff then let robot do it's thing for the rest.

Reactions: krischela
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.