Just opened and having problem maintaining chlorine

HunterdonBob

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2022
Frenchtown
I opened my pool on Tuesday. I live in the Northeast so it's pretty chilly still but I wanted the pool to be ready in a few weeks. Anyway the chlorine level is not being maintained after shocking. I've been using liquid chlorine daily in the past. I shocked with cal hypo and because I'll be away I'm using trichlor in a chlorine feeder just for this week.

Anyway the PH is fine at 7.4 last tested. When I used the Taylor DPD test nothing registered. At first I thought it bleached out because of too much chlorine but after testing with an OTO kit there is NO chlorine.

I tested the CYA and there is 0. I thought the trichlor would build up the CYA but it's not happening. Questions-

The trichlor is a year old. It smells pretty pungent still. Each tablet is individually wrapped. Can it be bad after only a year?

Should I add stabilizer or shock again with stabilized shock (dichlor) to raise the CYA?

The water temperature is about 59 degrees. Not sure this matters but thought I'd mention it.
Once I get this straightened it's back to liquid chlorine.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Welcome to TFP! :wave: First ting I would do is grab some liquid chlorine. You're probably going to need it for quick dosing with no side effects like CYA or CH. The "no CYA" comment may seem odd right now, but if you are not recording any at the moment, something may have consumed all of it during the winter. We don't want to feed that cycle.

Since your pH is already in a good place, I would add liquid chlorine for a, FC target of 10 ppm. After you dose, re-test the water in 10 minutes with good circulation. If teh FC fell below 5, increase it back to 10 and repeat the 10-min testing process. If the FC is holding between 5-10 ppm, then go ahead and add granular stabilizer for a CYA target of 30. With the stabilizer in the water (see below), then you can increase the FC to "12" and follow the instructions on the SLAM Process page. Maintain that elevated FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

If this seems like info-overload, don't' worry. We'll coach you through it and you'll have it down in no time. But to do this you do need a good test kit, either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. With either of those you'll be on yoru way.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Also see Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Bperry
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.