Just moved, have pool, need HELP!

Glad to hear you have the solar cover and don't get much debris. That will make things much easier to manage. I would say the jury is still out on whether or not to use the solar cover with the forecast calling for 3 days of rain. If you get a lot of rain, your pool can get too full and the the pump and filter will not be able to work properly until you drain some of the water out. Also, rain water can affect your pH in different ways. Sometimes it will lower the pH because it is acidic. Other times it may raise the pH because of the aeration it causes. The extra water will also dilute your chemical levels, which is what we don't want, unless your CYA is too high.

The more I think about it, the more I am opting with putting the cover on while you are away. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm not sure how the cover will act with the rainfall since I don't use one on a regular basis.

Hi Rich and Welcome
Have my cousin? check her PMs :) LOL
I would cover, dump in a jug of bleach, and leave the pump running and if we can confirm the CYA level before you leave, use tablets in a floater while you are gone.

Then you can ask someone (new neighbor-break the ice, or distant cousin LOL) to check on things while you are away.) Use empty bleach jugs filled with water to weigh the cover down while you are gone. Put them on top of the solar blanket about a foot in from the edge....

I covered, left the pump running, a few tabs in a floater and came home after a week to crystal clear but too cold to swim water, that needs little vacuming :)

If you can't find Cal-Hypo tablets then the next best thing to do is to backwash and dump in another gallon or so of bleach before you leave town, then put another in as soon as you get home.

Ike

Ok still no test kit! Darn it! :)

But it's been sunny all day, so I tested again.

Looks like my pH dropped and is back in the "normal" color range again of 7.2-7.8
My FC is still a pretty dark purple, so I'd say it's at a 10ish range (give or take)
My TA looks to be a better color, I would say it matches in the range of 120-180
And the stabilizer (CYA) level looks to be in the 30-50 range.

Hurry up test kit and get here! i want real numbers.

PS - When can I jump in? It's hot and the water is looking tempting. LOL!

Isaac-1 said:
If you can't find Cal-Hypo tablets then the next best thing to do is to backwash and dump in another gallon or so of bleach before you leave town, then put another in as soon as you get home.

Ike

Hey Ike -

Can you please let me and IMXTREEM know about backwashing? What does that mean? How do you do it? (we are total newbies, sorry)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so bear with me. Since this is the first time testing, I may be too detailed in my descriptions/numbers

FC - 30
CC - 0? The reason I say 0, is because it turned back to the slightest shade of pink, almost so light you can't tell. So to get it to clear it took me like 2 drops, which would mean my CC is 1.
TC - 30 or 31?
pH - 7.5
T/A - 170
CH - 330
CYA - 80 (but I could actually still see the black dot, it was cloudy, but I still saw it was there) So I kept going a few more drops and when I was absolutely unable to see it the reading was 70.

Please advise my wise Pool Peeps! :)

Your CYA is too high, you will need to replace water to get it down (you need to replace about 50% of the water to get it in the right range, do not add any tri-chlor pucks. At a CYA level of 70 you need an FC level of 30 to shock so you are at shock level now.

If it were me I would go ahead and drain about 50% of the water and hope you get a lot of rain on your trip to refill, then fill it back up when you get back and go from there. If you have time vacuum to waste on the filter so you will be draining and doing some extra good while your at it.

Ike

Peeps! don't you LOVE it? Ya see, ya see?

FC is 30 (if you divided by 2? if you didn't your FC is 15)
CC is .5 if it took 2 drops this is fine
TC 31 or 15.5?
PH good
TA a tad high but can wait
CH fine a bit high but not an issue
Your CYA is likely 70 which means no tabs while away :-(

Um, yeah , you're at shock level, LOL slap that cover on there, leave the pump running on low and get to fishin'.
If you want a local jug dumper, pm me... :)

Edit I see Issac posted b 4 me... - you can manage with the CYA of 70 - I did the first summer I found TFP. You will run with a higher CYA but in 2 years (like me, you'll be adding it :) LOL) You don't need to drain b 4 you go! End Edit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.