Just landed in the deep end...

Pouring acid slowly directly into the return jet stream (with the pump running) is the fastest, safest, way to add acid. You want it to mix in very quickly. The water movement from a return jet is the most effective way to do that. If you pour it into calm water there is some chance of it pooling on the bottom (acid is slightly denser than water) for a while before it mixes in, and that could damage the pool surface.

Have you guys ever encountered any pool surface damage related to pouring acid directly into the pool and not in front of a return line? Cause i haven't... weird.

Like i said in my earlier post, lots of variables.

Also column pouring is a beneficial method of introducing muratic acid into your pool and can help lower your TA and PH quicker.

Yes, we have seen a number of examples of damage from both bleach and acid when they are added incorrectly. Usually it is vinyl liner pools where you are more likely to see the damage not so long after the incident, while with plaster the damage shows up as shorter lifetime years later, which can't always be matched up to the original incident.

The whole column pouring thing is a myth, no truth to it what so ever. It also risks pool surface damage more than other addition methods.

Again, thanks for all the replies guys...

The pool is 8' deep at the deep end; 3'6" as the shallow.
There are pump pick-ups in the deep end; two on the floor, two on the wall.
(I think at least one of these are for the sheer-descent but not sure about the others.)

The flow back into the pool pumps some into the hot-tub, and some into 3 or 4 jets around the pool; one of which is over the steps at the shallow end.

I think my best bet is to just pour it in at the deep end, and see what happens.
EDIT: I will dilute the acid and dump it near the intakes.

Do I need to remove my robot when I add acid. The instructions for the robot say to remove him whenever I add chemicals.

I look forward to getting my own test kit; just so that I can get more regular numbers.

Fingers crossed.
Nick.

And since vinyl is so sensitive to acidic conditions, I even recommend that the side and bottom of the pool where the acid is added by lightly brushed to ensure thorough mixing. If you pour slowly enough over a return flow then the risk is small, but brushing the bottom will stir up any acid or chlorine that settles since both are denser than water until thoroughly mixed so can pool at the bottom (especially if not poured in front of a return flow). After all, the very principle of The Liquidator has the concentrated chlorine at the bottom with pool water on top -- it will eventually mix by diffusion but that process is rather slow though obviously a pool isn't as still as the contents of The Liquidator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.