Just have to laugh

apwelb said:
I just made a trek to the local pool store today. Was talking to the guy about my cyanuric acid levels. I measure them at 45. He told me they were around 100. I said, wow that's high. He then told me people don't typically have a problem with CYA until it is around 400-500 ppm?!? I just nodded my head. We then got to talking about borates. I need a significant amount added to get to a base level (their test recommended 77#'s of Supreme Plus. I was like, "ok, how much is that." His response? "Around $160." I was doing the math in my head and figured between muriatic and borax, I would be at about $65.

Very strange, indeed.

Hi apwelb, which pool store was this (no names, but you could describe by location)?. I'm also in Apple Valley, and was at the Pool and Spa store in Burnsville west of the Target store on the north side of CR42 to get a part for my pool cleaner, and saw someone get pool stored the other day. They sent him out with an armload of chemicals, when it sounded like all he needed was to be "schooled" on the BBB method. Sad.

I tried to strike up a conversation and help him out as he was leaving the store, but he was in too much of a hurry. I didn't push it.

Also, PoolGuyNJ, I read your email and applaud your approach and forthrightness. I wish you the best and hope you see much more business in the days ahead. I have a similar approach in my business (which is not pool-related) and wanted to suggest an additional thought in that last sentence regarding relationships; Lose the relationship, and you'll never know how many other customers that relationship might have brought you.

Regards,
Choots

If you are talking about the performance based pool store by Carpet King, that's the one.

Overall, I think they are the more knowledgable in the area but I was really taken aback by this comment.

I can't imagine trying to open a green pool with a CYA level higher than 50 let alone 100ppm. The shock levels would be enormous.

Yep - that's it. I think they have a couple good guys in there, but they also have a couple young bucks in there that can't have any real experience in troubleshooting pool problems.

The thing I keep thinking is that they can't help but know how CYA works and affects chlorine levels required, and yet they still perpetuate incorrect information.

Anyway, I went out and stood and looked at my sparkling clean pool in the bright sunlight for a few minutes to calm myself down. :goodjob:

Choots

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.