Just Discovered TFP, Just Opened Goliath Pool, Just Reconsidered My Life Choices

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 007, Entry 001: It's the weekend now, and I finally get to SLAM frequently, and with precision. But as it turns out, I may not have to! The Swamp is retaining FC like a beast. Four hours after my landlord added bleach yesterday mid-day, I came home to FC loss of only 4. I went a little overboard after my bleach shopping trip yesterday (algae drives men to madness) and accidentally raised FC to 16 before bed last night. This morning, it's resting right at 10, SLAM level. This morning, I went ahead and did a full battery of tests, even though I remember reading that some of them are unreliable during SLAM...

• TA - 60
  • PH - 7.0
  • CH - 170
  • CYA - >30 but cloudier than last test, before I added the sock
  • FC - 10
  • CC - 1.5

Is there anything to be said about these test results? I'm so tempted to add something in to get the TA and PH up, but I know that the SLAM article said at least PH would be unreliable during SLAM. Also, the CH from the first few days when I was using Cal Hypo is sort of concerning, but I don't think 170 is too bad, right?

Another question: I have some Aluminum Sulfate dry floc left over from the pool store overlords. At any point, should I consider adding this and shutting off the pump? I've seen it work very well in the past, but I don't want to interfere with my SLAM in any way.

Note: The Swamp looks excellent today! Almost all the green is gone!

QuGdnnUl.jpg

hheFoWVl.jpg

"Are you manufacturing drugs???"
ueNcdJnl.jpg

"Are you manufacturing drugs???"

My God NO, I'm getting rid of two ex-wives that are sucking me dry !!! What's that blue light :cop::cop::cop:

IMHO If you do use the floc, I'd wait till you're CC is lower and you're not using as much bleach daily. Using it when most of the algae is dead is when you'd get the best bang from it.

In your case I'd only recommend it if the pool gets close to done like a hazy blue and seems to stall where the clarity doesn't change from day to day. Just make sure if you do use it you vac to waste.
Otherwise save it for a "next time".
I used some this year and I know on this forum it's frowned upon but IMHO I think there are times it helps. Just to see the bottom I would have paid anything and the floc got me there.

It was only $2 :confused::confused: Usually it's $20-30 What exactly is it, brand ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations on the progress. You're doing great !!

•CYA - >30 but cloudier than last test, before I added the sock

At the risk of being pedantic, the reason people are asking you about CYA is that the angle bracket should point the other way for "less than", ie

•CYA - < 30 but cloudier than last test, before I added the sock

Apologies for nitpicking ;)

A few points:

You haven't said if you've tried to remove any leaves. Blind vacuuming and/or raking them out will help clear the pool MUCH faster.

While slamming, you don't need to do the full battery of testing. Save your reagents. Just worry about FC and CC. when you add CYA test a week later.

Lastly, if you have a light, pull it and leave it out for the rest of the slam.

+1 you need to get out as much "stuff" as possible with that rake. Anything you take out is that much less that the chlorine has to deal with and can spend it's time killing algae. Also, get used to sweeping it daily.

That was pretty much covered in the first few posts.

It was only $2 :confused::confused: Usually it's $20-30 What exactly is it, brand ?

No brand, my local pool store makes it and bags it. It comes in a little ziploc baggie with a small printed label that just says "Aluminum Sulfate."

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations on the progress. You're doing great !!

At the risk of being pedantic, the reason people are asking you about CYA is that the angle bracket should point the other way for "less than", ie

•CYA - < 30 but cloudier than last test, before I added the sock

Apologies for nitpicking ;)

Oh ****! Don't apologize for nitpicking, I need to know if I'm consistently doing something stupid. Thanks dude/dudette! :)

A few points:

You haven't said if you've tried to remove any leaves. Blind vacuuming and/or raking them out will help clear the pool MUCH faster.

While slamming, you don't need to do the full battery of testing.

I have been brushing, and using a bag on a pole to "rake." I have considered vacuuming, but my pump drains water to waste so unbelievably fast. As in, if I had my water level to the top of the skimmer housing, it would be at the bottom in five minutes or so. I feel like there are not enough leaves and junk at the bottom to justify the water (and chlorine) loss. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong?

That said, an update - today, when I've been sweeping, the leaves that broil up are very sparse, and they no longer cloud up amidst a mushroom cloud of diarrhea. I think my filter has been doing a really good job filtering the junk out when I sweep, because it's hard to find pockets of gunk anymore...

Also, yeah normally I only do the FC and CC test. Most recent reading was FC 9, CC 1. To which I responded with 2 jugs of bleach. The last time my FC got below SLAM level was 3 hours ago, and it's super sunny today!

I would toss that bag in the garbage or if you end up going by the pool store just drop it off for them to give someone else. Rather not even see it in the garbage.
I don't mind hesitantly recommending a floc in some cases but what I've used and worked for me was liquid and in a retail package with instructions (BioGard).

For all you and I know that same pool store might have a fifty dollar "cure" for whatever happens when you toss that bag of doomed and ill fated unknown concoction in :ncool:

I would toss that bag in the garbage or if you end up going by the pool store just drop it off for them to give someone else. Rather not even see it in the garbage.
I don't mind hesitantly recommending a floc in some cases but what I've used and worked for me was liquid and in a retail package with instructions (BioGard).

For all you and I know that same pool store might have a fifty dollar "cure" for whatever happens when you toss that bag of doomed and ill fated unknown concoction in :ncool:

Oh no, I've used it before and it worked just fine. It was excellent actually! It honestly worked better than the name brand stuff...

After seeing this SLAM work as it has, I'm no fan of the pool store, but if they get something right, I gotta give 'em credit. :D

I however will not be using the floc anyway. I want to see the SLAM play itself out without outside factors.

If it's worked for you before, then go for it. I have no problem being wrong or reversing an opinion if the facts support it. :foot:

I've read so many different horror stories of pool store, "here, try this" that it's a knee jerk response plus they've done it to me personally !! Anything a year ago or more if the store recommended it we just tossed it in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.