Just closed on house now I own a pool!

So I thought I would update I have not done any updates knowing the problems the site has had and I figured I didn't need help so I could continue on and leave the bandwidth for people who did need the help.

I have been maintaining my SLAM, I can pass the OCLT and the CC test just waiting for my filter to clear the cloudy water. I have been adding DE when I can babysit the filter. I learned the hard way to only do that while I can baby sit the filter.

I added DE and left for what I originally planned was 2 hours and was going to check back with it. I fell asleep and didn't get back until a little over 4 hours. In that time the filter overpressurized and blew the supply line from the pump going into the filter off the filter(was friction fitted with teflon I am amazed it could even stay on with 20 PSI and am not surprised higher PSI blew it off). Which proceeded to drain the pool to below the skimmer. Thankfully I do not have a main drain so the pump lost prime at that point. I only lost approx 6 inches of water(not that bad) and it was honestly a blessing in disguise. I was waiting to repair the crack in the top step until after the SLAM but I figured why drain twice!

I stop drilled the crack, and found another smaller crack and stop drilled those. If you are unfamiliar with what that is I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to relieve the stress and it prevents the crack from expanding further under normal conditions. I then used a liberal amount of fiberglass Resin and a fiberglass patch, and then some more resin. I sanded it smooth after it cured. it is ugly right now the resin cured to a nice shade of brown(steps are white) but it is functional and I can make it pretty next year. I then refilled the pool and did a food coloring test. No more leak!

I can run the filter without DE for about 8 hours without a backwash so when I can't babysit the pool I try to run it like that and have the wife/timer(same thing) turn it off and I backwash it when I start it up the next time.

My next project will be to add a Timer after I get paid. Any suggestions on brand I am thinking I want to go digital over analog but I have no real justification for it other than, "it looks cool". Oh and my pump runs on 220.

So far we have used 20 gallons of bleach/chlorine. It has been a little chilly so the wife/kid hasn't been too heartbroken about not being able to swim but it is supposed to be pretty warm this weekend. Hopefully it is fully clear by then. It is so close I can see the shadow of the vacuum head at the bottom of the deep end. I also determined that what I thought was dirt and leaves on the bottom of the pool was actually the pattern of the vinyl LOL.

Sorry for it being so wordy but I am a Service Engineer by trade and I like to know the whole story.

Kim I have my signature set up but when I post from my phone sometimes it doesn't show.

You have come so far with your pool already! LOL at the "leaves" in your pool!

You are very close and sounds like you really have a good handle on what needs to be done.

Hoping for swimming this weekend!

Kim

I can see the pattern of the liner at the deep end even after brushing! The water is still slightly cloudy but I think that is just filter work to clear it up the rest of the way. We received a good bit of rain over the last few days so my pool was pretty full. And to prepare I turned the pump off for about 24 hours and let everything settle to the bottom. after that I vacuumed to waste and got a ton of dirt and leaves and stuff that settled out of the pool, and I brought the pool back down to normal water level! All that is left is some crud that keeps settling maybe 15-20 mins after I brush. Every time I vac there is definitely a lot less of it. I cannot identify it for you because I damaged my ear drum almost 10 years ago and it is very painful for me to swim more than a foot underwater. I am still passing OCLT and the CC test. Last night at 9pm 16.5 FC 0 CC at 6:30a(slightly light out but no direct sun very cloudy all day today) 15.5 FC 0 CC. There was leaves in the skimmer basket I forgot to empty before I started the test. But I am almost there!

How do I keep the poor chipmunks out of my pool? I have rescued 3 so far and one I didn't get to in time:( it got sucked down to the skimmer basket. I was thinking of buying an Owl statue and keeping that on the pool deck. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.