Just bought house with pool---probably hasn't been opened in 3 years...

Hulligan, the increasing clarity signals to me you're on track, so kudos!

The slower "color" change may be due to iron in the water that has oxidized from the slamming (an effect of chlorine if you have metals in the water that we discussed earlier.) I suspect that sand filter of yours will just keep chugging away clearing it over the next few days.

If you get to the place where you pass all the slam criteria (less than .5 cc, less than 1ppm loss FC overnight, water clear) and youve vacuumed entirely clean, but still have the yellowish tint to the water, THEN I would let the FC drop, get ph to 7.6, and treat with Metal Magic.

If you want an iron home test kit, this is what I use, but if you meet the above criteria and the water still has the yellow cast you don't really need to test to treat ;) http://www.amazon.com/LaMotte-2994-...8&qid=1431430588&sr=1-2&keywords=Lamotte+iron

For stains, while AA is sure fire, I found from advice from a TFPer named Ravenjim that doing the Metal Magic sponge test and treating accordingly removed my stains just as well.

With AA treatment (ascorbic acid) you have to add metal sequestrant anyway. The advantage for me of only using the Metal Magic in larger dose was that you were killing two birds with one stone, and it was nowhere near as difficult to increase the FC after (and it works at a higher FC than AA).

Here's a link to the sponge test for future use: http://www.proteampoolcare.com/images/uploads/MetalMagicSpongeTest.pdf

And here's the link to Ravenjim's excellent step-by-step thread on the topic: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...estrate-from-EDTA-to-HEDP?p=658877#post658877

Cheers!

Thanks Swampwoman! I guess the plan for now is to wait until the algae stops clumping on the bottom? The water is getting so clear but is still discolored. Then, take care of any metals that are in the water. We are on well water, but most of the water in the pool has been in there for years and I am guessing rainwater? We have added several inches from the hose to replace loss from backwashing but most is still the "original" water.

Thanks for the good reads...I'll do the sponge test once the slam is done. :)

DAY 8 SLAM

Feeling pretty good!:party: Quick question: we have been at the mustard shock level for 2 days now...should we stay this high? We are only adding 2-3 gallons a day now, so if it helps move things along we can stay at the high shock level. The water is still very yellowish.

View attachment 36270View attachment 36271

ALSO...any advice on removing stains from the sides of the liner? We have been scrubbing them with the pool broom but they aren't lightening at all. Thanks!

Organic staining will take awhile longer at higher FC levels and brushed daily. Metals will need a sequesterant and possibly an ascorbic acid treatment at very low FC level. Once you pass the OCLT, you can look into the staining issues more. If you're not running off a well, it's more than,likely organic because the pool has been a mess for years.

SLAM DAY 11

Looking better every day. This is the bottom of the deep end, before I vacuumed up all the algae that had clumped together overnight. We are super excited that we may actually be swimming in a week!!!

day 11.jpg

I also need another deep tissue massage from all the scrubbing. I think I am loosening the stains a little, but they are obviously still pretty bad. I would guess I have both organic and metal stains.

Looking MUCH better! Keep with the scrubbing. It's a great workout program. ;) The more scrubbing you can do when the FC is high at SLAM levels, the more of the organic stains will be loosened, obviously within reason. Now that you're getting clarity, it's time to seek out the areas where algae likes to hide. Nooks, crannies, seams, joints, corners, skimmers (toilet brush works great). I'd even unscrew your return eyeballs and give those a scrub.

Your hard work and persistence is paying off, keep at it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM DAY 12

day 12.jpg

Looking better every day! Extremely clear today, but the chlorine is still clumping algae on the bottom. Vacuumed 2x yesterday, both times with a low to moderate amount of algae. So at least one more day of SLAMMING.

Still scrubbing the sides, but seems like it's becoming less and less effective, so also need to start planning post-slam metal stain removal. May let the kids enjoy the stained pool for a few days before we start that!

We are sooooooo thrillled with the results thus far!!

OH...any advice on how to "test" that old diving board for stability? New ones seem to run about $500. I don't care if it's faded or discolored, but don't want it to snap!

- - - Updated - - -

^Swimsuits are highly overrated! ;)

As soon as the kids are all gone for a night... ;-)

CYA test question:

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I added 5.5 lbs of CYA last week using the sock method (took about 5 days to dissipate, so it's only been completely dissolved for about 2 days). I did the CYA test, but the mixture is still crystal clear. So, the black dot never disappears, which means no CYA is present?

Here are the steps I am doing: fill up CYA squirt bottle to bottom of label. Fill up to top of label with solution. Shake, wait 30 secs, shake again. At this point, it's CLEAR. So, when i pour into the tube (it's on a table while I look straight down it) the tube will fill up completely and I will still be able to see the black dot.

Bleach has been lasting longer than before I added the CYA, which seems to indicate CYA is present. Temps have been in the 80s and low 90s here, yet I am only needing a couple of gallons a day to maintain 20-22 ppm.

So...am I doing the test wrong?

I know you've done alot of backwashing and refilling too? You may have lost some CYA to the backwashing and it does sometimes take up to a week to register on the test. Give it another day or so, then test again. You may have to add more depending on how much you've lost to BW/refill. If it never disappears, it means your less than 20, not necessarily 0. You should also do the test while holding it at your waist height, not set on the table, in full sunlight at your back. Test is VERY light dependent.

I know you've done alot of backwashing and refilling too? You may have lost some CYA to the backwashing and it does sometimes take up to a week to register on the test. Give it another day or so, then test again. You may have to add more depending on how much you've lost to BW/refill. If it never disappears, it means your less than 20, not necessarily 0. You should also do the test while holding it at your waist height, not set on the table, in full sunlight at your back. Test is VERY light dependent.

Yes....lots of backwashing and refilling! At the beginning of the SLAM it was backwashing and rinsing 4 or 5 times a day. Now, it's only 1 or 2 times a day, but still have to refill about an inch or so a day. No rain and direct sun so we are also losing to evaporation.

I'll retest tomorrow using your tips...THANKS!

testing the board-------VERY carefully! LOL

My thought would be to push on it with your hands and see what if feels like and SOUNDS like. Does it give? Does it "squeak" ?

What does the underside of it look like? Any cracking?

This would be on of those "better safe than sorry" things for me.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.