Just bought a hot tub

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
Bought a Hot Spring Limelight Flash yesterday. Haven't had a tub in years and we are excited! Any tips for a newbie?

I've read places that a deep clean using Ahh-Some is needed on a new tub is needed. Should I do that? That stuff is expensive at $53 for 6 oz.

The tub has a SWG, but will be starting it with liquid chlorine while balancing.

Since I've had big problems with iron in the pool this year, I'm wondering if I need to filter the fill water going into the hot tub. I had my fill water tested at the store and the report says 0.1 ppm copper and 0.2 ppm iron. One guy said that was normal for city fill water, the other said it wasn't.... anyone know if I should try a bucket of polyfil to reduce those metal numbers?

Hi Razorhog: Congratulations on your new Hot Spring purchase. They are a top quality manufacturer.
i would recommend that you only purchase the 2 ounce Ahh-Some container. That will afford you at least 3-4 purges so you'll have enough for this year and all Of next for deep cleaning. Actually, you can purchase this at the TFP website. They will ship it right out to you. Read the instructions and don't overdose. You'll release a significant amount of gunk and goo.

Reactions: Razorhog
Hi Razorhog: Congratulations on your new Hot Spring purchase. They are a top quality manufacturer.
i would recommend that you only purchase the 2 ounce Ahh-Some container. That will afford you at least 3-4 purges so you'll have enough for this year and all Of next for deep cleaning. Actually, you can purchase this at the TFP website. They will ship it right out to you. Read the instructions and don't overdose. You'll release a significant amount of gunk and goo.
Thanks! I just ordered the 6 oz from Amazon. How is the shelf life of AhhSome? Should I try to cancel and get the smaller container?
Edit: tub is 360 gallons so the 2oz container would give me about 3.5 purges.

That article was written back when hot tub SWCG really weren’t all that popular. It mainly assumes you are following the dichlor/bleach method. That method is fine for startups and I would follow the recommended CH levels from the tub manufacturer. Hot tub SWG’s tend to be less sophisticated than their bigger pool cousins and are more susceptible to scale build up. The less CH you have in the water, the better.

There are RV water filters available that can reduce calcium hardness as well as metal ion levels. They can usually process a thousand gallons or more of water before needing manual regeneration. For filling a hot tub, they would be perfect. They’re a bit pricey but might be worth the investment.

The Ahhsome Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing & Jet Cleaner was enrolled in a storage/stability test mandated by the EPA and was given a zero reduction in active ingredients over an extended period of time. The Shelf life is at least 5 years. What can occur if oxygen is allowed to seep into the container after use is that the gel may stiffen slightly. It is still good to use and we recommend that you simply stir the product back into the original consistency. Even hardened gel added to a tub will work well. Keep the cap on tight and you'll have no issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Ahhsome Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing & Jet Cleaner was enrolled in a storage/stability test mandated by the EPA and was given a zero reduction in active ingredients over an extended period of time. The Shelf life is at least 5 years. What can occur if oxygen is allowed to seep into the container after use is that the gel may stiffen slightly. It is still good to use and we recommend that you simply stir the product back into the original consistency. Even hardened gel added to a tub will work well. Keep the cap on tight and you'll have no issues.

And it works great for cleaning out clothes washer too!

They have a version just for the laundry and dishwasher (that I have) that works great! I was shocked at the Crud that came out of the laundry when I used it.:oops:

My neighbor was complaining that her dishwasher had started to smell like a sewer every time she ran it and she was convinced it was coming from the plumbing. I asked when the last time she cleaned it and she said she used the store brand dishwasher cleaner every week (the lemon stuff that just dissolves calcium). I told her that she probably had food residue build up in the sump and that the line was full of bacteria. When I mentioned Ahh-some she totally pitched a fit at the price and said I was crazy to spend that kind of money to flush water down the drain. She then proceeded to try every bit of Internet hocus-pocus to fix it - vinegar, vinegar + baking soda, oxyclean, tablets of all kinds, etc. We talked again a few weeks later and she was about to buy a new machine. I gave her the last little bit I had in my bottle (it was about 1/2 tsp or so) and I told her to try it....

Yeah, she never did buy that new dish washing machine .... and she later brought over a new bottle of Ahh-some to pay me back 😉

That article was written back when hot tub SWCG really weren’t all that popular. It mainly assumes you are following the dichlor/bleach method. That method is fine for startups and I would follow the recommended CH levels from the tub manufacturer. Hot tub SWG’s tend to be less sophisticated than their bigger pool cousins and are more susceptible to scale build up. The less CH you have in the water, the better.

There are RV water filters available that can reduce calcium hardness as well as metal ion levels. They can usually process a thousand gallons or more of water before needing manual regeneration. For filling a hot tub, they would be perfect. They’re a bit pricey but might be worth the investment.
Thank you for the insight. Do you think a filter like this would suffice?

No. That one simply filters “rust”, as in if you had red/brown water coming out of the faucet, not “removes iron”. That same brand of filter has a different model that contains ion exchange resin and says it will “remove iron”. It has to remove iron, not “rust”...there’s a difference.

No. That one simply filters “rust”, as in if you had red/brown water coming out of the faucet, not “removes iron”. That same brand of filter has a different model that contains ion exchange resin and says it will “remove iron”. It has to remove iron, not “rust”...there’s a difference.
Having trouble finding such a filter. You have a ballpark guess as to what one costs? Appreciate the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.