Just bought a Dolphin that I'm not happy with, need advice

Neefer

Jun 10, 2015
Maryland
I've had two Hayward Aquavac 500's that I was extremely pleased with. Both lasted about 4 1/2 years each. It was discontinued or I'd buy a 3rd! Second one just died, I did a ton of research and decided on Dolphin Nautilus CC Pro. I tend to run robots about twice a week. My pool does not get very dirty with large debris unless stormy. So the first couple of times a ran the new bot and then get in to swim, I see a couple of "large swaths" that the bot missed. Now, it's not super obvious when you look at pool after the cleaning cuz like I said, pool doesn't get super dirty, but I see the missed sections when I get it. BUT, then a week later pool gets much dirtier and ran the Dolphin and there are tons of untouched pathways crisscrossing the pool, deep end, shallow end, all over.

So I call the store I bought from, which I'd rather not name at the moment, and I believe they are a brick and mortar store that also sells online. They tell me that perhaps it's not the right fit for my pool and they'll let me send this one back and "upgrade" to a better bot! Paid 1100 for this and they're suggesting a 1500-1600 bot. When I shopped, I was on the Maytronics site, put in info that my pool is 16x32 vinyl and it produced list of bots that would suit my pool PLUS I spoke to a human at this business before I bought to help me narrow down and he agreed on this CC Pro being fine for my pool. So I feel like this is a bait and switch kind of move. He also told me that I shouldn't expect a bot to cover the entire pool and that's not what they're for! They say if I just want to return this and not upgrade that I have to pay to send it back. Then I called Maytronics and spoke to a woman who took all of my info and no one has gotten back to me. It's been days.

So my questions for anyone here:

Is it not reasonable to expect a robot to clean the whole pool? My Haywards did...both of them. The Hayward had two run times...1.5 hours cleaned bottom and sides and 3 hours cleaned bottom up to waterline. So if I only wanted it to pick up bottom dirt I'd set the lower and if whole pool really needed it I'd set for 3 hours. This Dolphin model only has a 2 hour run time and cleans whole pool including waterline. Waterline cleaning was one of the things I wanted on my checklist. So now I'm wondering if it's too much to expect any robot to clean a pool top to bottom on 2 hours only and if it had a 2.5 or 3 hour run time it might work for me. And this is another "solution" the shop guy told me was maybe I'd just have to run 2 cycles if I want it to get the whole pool! This is unacceptable to me. But please tell me if I'm the one expecting too much. I'm not happy with either resolution they are offering, since my Haywards could do the job I expected.

Extra questions....he also referred to "one motor vs two motor models", and also "suction rates"...again telling me I should do the upgrade. The CC Pro model has one motor and apparently a lower suction rate than the upper models. But again, Maytronics and he himself shouldn't have led me to believe this model would clean my pool. I wasn't interested in paying 1600 for a robot. I don't care about Wifi and the thing driving himself to me poolside when he's done etc. I don't know the specs of my Haywards, but I suspect they were a one motor bot.

And last...I'm trying to shop other brands because I'm so unhappy with this experience. And the Polaris website leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone know if any Polaris has ultrafine filtering? Every video I watch makes it look like they all just have regular screens, but I'm not even sure about that. They don't ever talk about filtration. I really want ultrafine filtration since my pool doesn't get much large debris, but finer dirt is my bigger problem.

If you've read all of this, thank you!! Any advice on any of my lines of questioning are appreciated, including how to get this robot returned without me being out dollars. I truly don't believe I should have to pay to ship this thing back to anyone since my philosophy is that an $1100 machine should clean my pool and this doesn't.

Neefer,

Not trying to say that your feelings are right or wrong, just my personal experience with robots over the past 10 years.

I have three saltwater pools and they all have robots. Currently two S200 'style' (appears to be the same as your CC Pro) and one EVO..

In none of the pools have I ever seen a visible trail of where the robot has cleaned or not cleaned. I assume that the robots are cleaning the whole pool, but I'll be the first to admit that I have never sat outside for 2 or 3 hours to watch it... I do know for a fact, that if I have just one dime-sized leaf on the floor of my pool, it will be gone when the robot is done about 95% of the time after a single pass, and 100% of the time after two passes.

My pools are all gunite.

I also know that the robot does not really map your pool, so it actually knows where it has been.. I'm sure it has something, but to call it mapping is a joke. It is more like it wanders around and if it runs long enough it will most likely cover the whole pool.

Every robot that I have ever used, operated this same way, so I don't think that your current robot is different than most.

I guess my point is that if you have a pool, where you can actually see the dirt in the bottom on the floor of the pool, then I am not sure that a robot is for you. :scratch:

Trying to see this from an outsider's point of view without emotion attached to it... If the company is willing to take the robot back and refund all your money, then I would think that the best course of action is to bite the bullet and pay the return shipping. Otherwise, you are stuck with a robot that does not work for you..

If you just want to screw with it, then I suggest that you take out the cloth "valve" that is around the suction input to the robot and see if that makes any difference.

I wish I had a magic answer to your robot issues, but I do not.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Neefer,

Not trying to say that your feelings are right or wrong, just my personal experience with robots over the past 10 years.

I have three saltwater pools and they all have robots. Currently two S200 'style' (appears to be the same as your CC Pro) and one EVO..

In none of the pools have I ever seen a visible trail of where the robot has cleaned or not cleaned. I assume that the robots are cleaning the whole pool, but I'll be the first to admit that I have never sat outside for 2 or 3 hours to watch it... I do know for a fact, that if I have just one dime-sized leaf on the floor of my pool, it will be gone when the robot is done about 95% of the time after a single pass, and 100% of the time after two passes.

My pools are all gunite.

I also know that the robot does not really map your pool, so it actually knows where it has been.. I'm sure it has something, but to call it mapping is a joke. It is more like it wanders around and if it runs long enough it will most likely cover the whole pool.

Every robot that I have ever used, operated this same way, so I don't think that your current robot is different than most.

I guess my point is that if you have a pool, where you can actually see the dirt in the bottom on the floor of the pool, then I am not sure that a robot is for you. :scratch:

Trying to see this from an outsider's point of view without emotion attached to it... If the company is willing to take the robot back and refund all your money, then I would think that the best course of action is to bite the bullet and pay the return shipping. Otherwise, you are stuck with a robot that does not work for you..

If you just want to screw with it, then I suggest that you take out the cloth "valve" that is around the suction input to the robot and see if that makes any difference.

I wish I had a magic answer to your robot issues, but I do not.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.
Much appreciated. I agree with everything you said! I wish someone would explain all of the "mapping" and "scanning to efficiently clean pool" garbage. I've never believed it either. I just really don't think a 2 hour run time for a 16x32 when it's trying to clean waterline is really ever going to work. And you are correct that your S200 is nearly identical. From what I see, I got Wifi and you got ultra fine filters included. And I actually paid extra for a set of ultra fine filters which I ordered separately and have not put in the robot yet.

I'm going to try to figure out how much it costs to ship this thing back, hoping it's less than I'm imagining. And since I'm not happy with the idea of spending over 1100-1200 for a robot that may only last 3 years, I may end up buying a low end model that doesn't do waterline, or one that allows me the choice to select floor/wall only, in the hopes that it cleans well everywhere else.

Neefer,

Here is one you might find interesting... It only comes with one filter type, so not sure how it would work for you.

That said, I buy all my robots from Marina pool and spa....

As a side note.. All my Dolphins use a corrugated filters kind of like you find in a car... They work great for me... Is this what you are using??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Neefer,

Here is one you might find interesting... It only comes with one filter type, so not sure how it would work for you.

That said, I buy all my robots from Marina pool and spa....

As a side note.. All my Dolphins use a corrugated filters kind of like you find in a car... They work great for me... Is this what you are using??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey, I actually had read your post on your Evo before! So I've placed the Evo on my list of possibilities if I get this Dolphin returned.

To answer your question about filters, the Nautilus CC Pro only came with the screen type filter. I paid extra days later to order the ultra fine set because I'm usually dealing with finer dirt with my pool than larger debris. My Haywards had the pleated ultra fine type and I saw what they pulled out of the pool all of the time and was impressed. But I never even got the chance to put the ultra fine on the Dolphin before I was unhappy with the performance. If I return this model I'll be returning the filters unused and hopefully get my $80 back for them too.

Played around with dimensions of packaging the Dolphin back up to send back and it wasn't as bad as I thought, so I'll be less upset about eating that cost.

I'm attaching photos of the dirt this Dolphin left behind yesterday after a two hour clean.

Attachments

• IMG_4227 (1).jpg
    IMG_4227 (1).jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4226 (1).jpg
    IMG_4226 (1).jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 19
I've had two Hayward Aquavac 500's that I was extremely pleased with. Both lasted about 4 1/2 years each. It was discontinued or I'd buy a 3rd! Second one just died, I did a ton of research and decided on Dolphin Nautilus CC Pro. I tend to run robots about twice a week. My pool does not get very dirty with large debris unless stormy. So the first couple of times a ran the new bot and then get in to swim, I see a couple of "large swaths" that the bot missed. Now, it's not super obvious when you look at pool after the cleaning cuz like I said, pool doesn't get super dirty, but I see the missed sections when I get it. BUT, then a week later pool gets much dirtier and ran the Dolphin and there are tons of untouched pathways crisscrossing the pool, deep end, shallow end, all over.

So I call the store I bought from, which I'd rather not name at the moment, and I believe they are a brick and mortar store that also sells online. They tell me that perhaps it's not the right fit for my pool and they'll let me send this one back and "upgrade" to a better bot! Paid 1100 for this and they're suggesting a 1500-1600 bot. When I shopped, I was on the Maytronics site, put in info that my pool is 16x32 vinyl and it produced list of bots that would suit my pool PLUS I spoke to a human at this business before I bought to help me narrow down and he agreed on this CC Pro being fine for my pool. So I feel like this is a bait and switch kind of move. He also told me that I shouldn't expect a bot to cover the entire pool and that's not what they're for! They say if I just want to return this and not upgrade that I have to pay to send it back. Then I called Maytronics and spoke to a woman who took all of my info and no one has gotten back to me. It's been days.

So my questions for anyone here:

Is it not reasonable to expect a robot to clean the whole pool? My Haywards did...both of them. The Hayward had two run times...1.5 hours cleaned bottom and sides and 3 hours cleaned bottom up to waterline. So if I only wanted it to pick up bottom dirt I'd set the lower and if whole pool really needed it I'd set for 3 hours. This Dolphin model only has a 2 hour run time and cleans whole pool including waterline. Waterline cleaning was one of the things I wanted on my checklist. So now I'm wondering if it's too much to expect any robot to clean a pool top to bottom on 2 hours only and if it had a 2.5 or 3 hour run time it might work for me. And this is another "solution" the shop guy told me was maybe I'd just have to run 2 cycles if I want it to get the whole pool! This is unacceptable to me. But please tell me if I'm the one expecting too much. I'm not happy with either resolution they are offering, since my Haywards could do the job I expected.

Extra questions....he also referred to "one motor vs two motor models", and also "suction rates"...again telling me I should do the upgrade. The CC Pro model has one motor and apparently a lower suction rate than the upper models. But again, Maytronics and he himself shouldn't have led me to believe this model would clean my pool. I wasn't interested in paying 1600 for a robot. I don't care about Wifi and the thing driving himself to me poolside when he's done etc. I don't know the specs of my Haywards, but I suspect they were a one motor bot.

And last...I'm trying to shop other brands because I'm so unhappy with this experience. And the Polaris website leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone know if any Polaris has ultrafine filtering? Every video I watch makes it look like they all just have regular screens, but I'm not even sure about that. They don't ever talk about filtration. I really want ultrafine filtration since my pool doesn't get much large debris, but finer dirt is my bigger problem.

If you've read all of this, thank you!! Any advice on any of my lines of questioning are appreciated, including how to get this robot returned without me being out dollars. I truly don't believe I should have to pay to ship this thing back to anyone since my philosophy is that an $1100 machine should clean my pool and this doesn't.
Hi I was using a hayward tiger shark and thought it did a good job everywhere. I had picked this up out of the garbage and repaired it .. lasted four years. This year it failed completely.
So I purchased a Dolphine CC Plus, initially I thought it to be a piece of junk and would not clean the water line. In hindsight it was me not the unit. Now after using it all summer, adjusting run times and keeping the pool clean, I'm now satisfied and feel it does a reasonable job every time. -- time will tell - I would like to get 5 years of service b4 it fails.

N,

How sure are you that what you have is dirt and not algae???

No way to tell from a pic of course..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sorry I took so long to reply. But I believe it's a mix of dirt and dead algae. I had let my chlorine get away from me and had the start of a problem. But I got it killed off and was really expecting to rely on the CC Pro to help me out. My old Haywards would definitely have taken care of the pool, every inch! I'm using my hand held pool blaster to clean up the dead stuff since the Dolphin won't.

But I've got an update to my robot dilemma. I had shopped all week for another robot, looking at other brands/models and was all prepared to order a Polaris. I even had it in my shopping cart online, waiting til I could call the shop I bought the CC Pro from and make sure I was all clear to send it back for a refund. But the guy talked me into the upgrade to a better Dolphin by giving me a nice price break. I think he felt bad for my dissatisfaction and all the effort he made me go through to see if the CC Pro would actually clean the pool to a reasonable degree. So I've got an M600 on the way to me. And I've got yet another set of pictures of what the CC Pro left behind after another 2 hour run. That thing was definitely not maneuvering around my pool. Always seemed to leave half the shallow end untouched and wide stripes of dirt in deep end too.

This will be my ONLY purchase of a higher end robot and only did it because of the nice price he gave me. If I get 5 years I'd consider myself fortunate and feel it was worth it. Hopefully new brands on the horizon will force competition to make a better product. I also feel like we, the pool owners, need to stop buying into the unnecessary toy features they're throwing into the robots (light shows, come when you call them, water temp readings etc). These are allowing the manufacturers to inflate pricing and carrying way too many models. (I found 19 Polaris models to try to research, and 18 for Maytronics before you even count all of the models that are renamaed and made of different colors for different retailers!). One would think 3-4 models to fit people's price points should suffice and then make caddies an optional purchase.

Wish me luck cuz this M600 better get my pool sparkly clean.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.