Jul 19, 2021
Pinckney, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post a message for anyone new to the site or just exploring. At first you might think, "Does all of this really work?", "This is too complicated for me", and/or "My local pool store will help more than this site". As someone who was new to this site last year, I'm here to say....

YES, it really works.

NO, it's not too complicated, it just takes a little time to learn...but I would argue the approaches recommended here are a bit more simple than the hundreds of different products advertised on the market or at your local store. And even so, your pool is a big investment, so why not keep it in great shape?

Nothing against local pool stores, but of all the shops I've been to, I've NEVER found a shop that provides the level of advice and detail that this site and the members provide. And the members are quick to jump in and help you, which is great.

TRUST the advice, TRUST the processes, go to Pool School and read/learn, download the pool math app (its AWESOME), and your pool will never look better....this year my pool has looked the best it's ever been since I've owned it (this is the 10th season). I've attached a couple of pictures.....no magic, no crazy chemicals, just following the advice here, staying on top of the pool chemistry and using the pool math app.

I've been so happy and used the site so much, I just made a donation to support the site. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Mike20220717_164816.jpg20220717_125641.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
full

Reactions: SJPoe and mdkraft99
Those "free" pool water tests in the pool store always end up with them recommending well over $25 worth of chemicals. Stay out of the pool store. They knowingly keep selling a customer 3 in chlorine pucks even when the pool water test shows CYA way over the top. Over the years I've helped a half dozen or so people with their green pools and it was always due to excessive CYA from those pucks. And it is very difficult for them to break the habit of running to their friendly pool store for advice and chemicals even after that!

Reactions: mdkraft99

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hadn't really embraced TFP or bought my own test kit before my first algae outbreak, but I had perused Pool School and the forum. I'd also read John Brace's book, which doesn't totally jive with TFP but does endorse LC and Polyquat as the best options. At the time I still had weekly pool service, and the guy had been there just a few days before the water clouded up. So I did go to the pool store for a test. But I knew just enough from my reading on TFP to protect myself from getting totally pool stored - I positively asserted I wanted liquid chlorine and polyquat. But I also followed the store's advice and purchased baking soda at the insance price of $3/lb.

I was able to clean the filter and clear up the pool on my own - this experience and TFP gave me the confidence to fire the pool service. Only time I've been to the pool store since was to buy liquid chlorine at 50%-off.

Reactions: mdkraft99 and zea3
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post a message for anyone new to the site or just exploring. At first you might think, "Does all of this really work?", "This is too complicated for me", and/or "My local pool store will help more than this site". As someone who was new to this site last year, I'm here to say....

YES, it really works.

NO, it's not too complicated, it just takes a little time to learn...but I would argue the approaches recommended here are a bit more simple than the hundreds of different products advertised on the market or at your local store. And even so, your pool is a big investment, so why not keep it in great shape?

Nothing against local pool stores, but of all the shops I've been to, I've NEVER found a shop that provides the level of advice and detail that this site and the members provide. And the members are quick to jump in and help you, which is great.

TRUST the advice, TRUST the processes, go to Pool School and read/learn, download the pool math app (its AWESOME), and your pool will never look better....this year my pool has looked the best it's ever been since I've owned it (this is the 10th season). I've attached a couple of pictures.....no magic, no crazy chemicals, just following the advice here, staying on top of the pool chemistry and using the pool math app.

I've been so happy and used the site so much, I just made a donation to support the site. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

MikeView attachment 438410View attachment 438411
Fact check: TRUE!

We have had a pool since 1988. After relying on the "pool store" for tooooooo many years, with growing frustration and no explanations of why my water repeatedly turned green... I was at the end of my rope. Thank god in 2015, by some miracle, I discovered TFP. After all those years of using chlorine pucks and powdered "shock" my water was BADLY out of balance, with CYA off the charts. The local "pool store" was only too eager to sell me products, products, and more products to "correct" my algae problem.

The Trouble Free Pools method is so simple and easy, once you get your water balanced. Really, could not be easier. Since 2015, I have not had even one problem, the water is always crystal clear. I would urge anyone---newbie or veteran pool owner---to switch to the TFP method!!!! Saves so much time, money and frustration.

Hello everyone,

YES, it really works.

Cheers,

MikeView attachment 438410View attachment 438411
Agree 1000%. I was brand new last year and I go on this forum every single day (it's like checking sports scores for me now) and read and learn something. Everyone is so helpful and the experience in so many different areas (not just pools) is a testament to what made this country great, people selflessly helping others!!

Reactions: mdkraft99
3 weeks of family, grandkids, friends of grandkids, friends of friends, at least one dog, who knows what else, and my pool is looking trashed. Oh, wait...i forgot, no it's not.

Not sure what I would do without TFP ;)

tfp_clear.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.