Jets and aerators on pool steps???? Why?

Sep 18, 2018
Northport, NY
My 20 x 40 inground has aerators intake and jets on both sides of the steps. They have broken twice (leaked) on one side and the second time it was repaired the tech suggested that it just be plugged off. There is a diverter near the filter that directs the return water flow to either those jets or the returns opposite the skimmers or a combo of both. Right now of course it is set to just go to the returns opposite the skimmers. The pool was at the house when we moved in. What is the purpose of the stair jets? Are they necessary to the proper function of the pool? Any problem with just sealing them off?
Also it has been raining like crazy. Can a pool become overfilled?
Here are some photos.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 151
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 145
My 20 x 40 inground has aerators intake and jets on both sides of the steps. They have broken twice (leaked) on one side and the second time it was repaired the tech suggested that it just be plugged off. There is a diverter near the filter that directs the return water flow to either those jets or the returns opposite the skimmers or a combo of both. Right now of course it is set to just go to the returns opposite the skimmers. The pool was at the house when we moved in. What is the purpose of the stair jets?

Circulate water in the stair area and push dirt off the steps.

Are they necessary to the proper function of the pool?
No. Splash around on the steps when going in and out of the pool and you accomplish the same thing.

Any problem with just sealing them off?
No.

Also it has been raining like crazy. Can a pool become overfilled?
Yes, if the water gets above the top of the skimmer you should drain some water out. Water overflowing the coping can erode ground behind the pool walls and effect the pool support.

Allen,
I cannot thank you enough for your thoughtful, prompt and helpful answer. It's people like you that help people like me understand what issues I am working with. I'm getting up there in years and I remember the show "Columbo" and when the detective would leave he would always show up back at the door with another question. So here goes.
Since we are getting new pavers around the pool and with an understanding that removing them and digging them up for another repair makes for a major job my follow up questions are these:
1. Does this design lend itself to leaking? (since we have had two)?
2. If so is it because of poor winterizing?
3. Is there a better "fix" if I wanted to keep these so that they don't leak in the future?
4. If I decide to seal off the pipes, would I then cut the diverter end and seal that so no one accidentally pressurizes a line that goes nowhere? or even eliminate the diverter completely?
5. If it were your pool, what would YOU do.
6. Finally, if I eliminate the intakes and outlets on the stairs is there a nicer (better looking) plug I can use and silicone in to make it more presentable?
Can I one again impose upon you for the benefit of your knowledge?

We need to know lots more about your pool to answer your questions. Please Read This BEFORE You Post and put details of your pool in your signature.

Seeing pics of your equipment pad and valves will give us an idea what you are working with.

How old is your pool?

Hi Allen,
Thank you for that info, but if you read my first post, it described the pool, the dimensions, the age wasn't mentioned but I would say 20 years because I wasn't here when it was put in. The liner is about 2 years. The photos you need are posted at the original post. Thank you for your help. If you need a photo of the diverter, I can quickly snap that and send it to you. It's a 3 way. One way goes to the returns across from the skimmers, the other goes to the steps and the third creates a blend of the two. Have my photos disappeared?
Thanks again
Ray

OK, so it sounds like you have a pool built approximately 20 years ago with a vinyl liner that was replaced 2 years ago. We don't know what the structural walls of the pool are.

My experience is with gunite pools so I welcome any other comments on how to plug holes in a pool like this.

1. Does this design lend itself to leaking? (since we have had two)?
Not sure what design you are asking about and I don't know where specifically it was leaking. Nothing inherently wrong with the design but pools after 20+ years can develop leaks. Lots of threads here on folks chasing leaks in older pools.

2. If so is it because of poor winterizing?
Can't say without knowing exactly where the leaks were and how they were repaired. I do wonder if the installation of the new liner 2 years ago may have caused the leaks. Or cracks could have been caused by shifting ground.

3. Is there a better "fix" if I wanted to keep these so that they don't leak in the future?
I don't know what the specific fix was. You only said "They have broken twice (leaked) on one side and the second time it was repaired the tech suggested that it just be plugged off. " Where exactly did it break and what was the repair? Can you circle it on a pic? Was it a cracked PVC pipe? A loose PVC joint? The interface with the liner?

4. If I decide to seal off the pipes, would I then cut the diverter end and seal that so no one accidentally pressurizes a line that goes nowhere? or even eliminate the diverter completely?
If you eliminate the stair outlets I would cut off the diverter and pipe it straight through your returns.

5. If it were your pool, what would YOU do.
I would call in some pool companies and ask them what they can do. What can be done depends on the abilities of the people you have available to you.

6. Finally, if I eliminate the intakes and outlets on the stairs is there a nicer (better looking) plug I can use and silicone in to make it more presentable?
Rather than plugs I would see if the holes in the pool wall and liner can be patched. I think proper patching has less chance of leaking in the future than plugs. Liners seem to be patched often. Patching the exterior pool wall depends on the material but I would think it is doable.

Plugging those returns doesn’t effectively insure they won’t leak. It’s a quick hopeful solution. I would lower water level below the returns and pressure test them, I guarantee you whoever did it didn’t prepare the fiberglass properly before inserting return fittings.

Plugging those returns doesn’t effectively insure they won’t leak. It’s a quick hopeful solution. I would lower water level below the returns and pressure test them, I guarantee you whoever did it didn’t prepare the fiberglass properly before inserting return fittings.

At this point, I am thinking of just eliminating them and removing the diverter that sends water to them. Then patching the steps so it looks nice. Then I will never need t worry about a leak again. The LAST thing I want is to have to take apart a nice pool surround paver job to fix another leaky part. So what, a little sand gets on the steps. I sweep them into the pool with my feet or a broom and my Aquabot T2 Turbo (which is a horrible machine by the way) tries too suck up all the sand on the bottom from the steps.
As far as I can see these jets seem to serve little other purpose.

Right??
Ray

You are correct, they only rinse away some dirt. They are great when plumbed and installed properly. To repair them isn’t an issue, remove the fitting, it’s a screw on one. Sand the back of it so it’s smooth to get a proper seal. Install new fitting, with rubber gasket on inside and outside, cork gasket goes after the rubber gasket on the inside. Add some silicone to the fitting. You will need a tool to fit inside the fitting on water side to hold it while you tighten the nut on the inside. Then glue in your lines. It’s not sanding the inside that causes the issues. It was probably installed by someone who didn't have experience with fiberglass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.