JandyPCL1400 Salt Cell Low chlorine at %70

AMH1

Apr 1, 2021
Texas
Hello,
We have a 13K gallon inground Salt pool in Texas using the PCL1400 Salt cell. We have the pump running for 7 hours and setting production rate at %70 with salt levels at 3200ppm. When testing the water with test kits, it always shows low chlorine level. If I switch the salt cell to "Boost" for the the day , the chlorine level goes to %100 and testing water shows Chlorine level increase and Ok level, so I know the cell is working. However, when it's at %60-%70 in summer, it just seems like this is not enough to keep up the chlorine level and when we moved into this house 2 years ago, it seems like %60-%70 was enough . The cell goes in the "Cell ON" and "Cell Resting " mode on the control board and that all seems to function Ok with no errors!

What % Chlorine do most of you guys use for Salt Cell as a baseline in your pools and is my salt cell is failing ? It's about 2.5 years old.

Thanks in advance!

You are generating 2.4 ppm FC each day using 70% for 7 hours. That is not enough at this time of year in Texas.

Set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC per day and then adjust as necessary. To get there, you can run the pump 9 hours per day at 100% generation, or 12 hours at 70% generation.

What CYA are maintaining in your pool water?

Thanks so much mknauss.....To be honest, I have never added or use any Cyanuric acid for CYA in the pool. The previous owner just told me to Add Salt, watch the Chlorine production % and add Muratic acid to lower PH and clean filters. Do I need to purchase Cynuric acid and add to the pool or is there another product I can purchase to maintain CYA?

Thanks again!

In Texas, your pool must have some CYA in it or else your FC would be gone in minutes. The SWCG would never keep up.
You need a proper test kit. Do you have one? If not, get the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Thanks so much mknauss.....To be honest, I have never added or use any Cyanuric acid for CYA in the pool. The previous owner just told me to Add Salt, watch the Chlorine production % and add Muratic acid to lower PH and clean filters. Do I need to purchase Cynuric acid and add to the pool or is there another product I can purchase to maintain CYA?

Thanks again!
I am in Katy near Houston. Have similar size pool and Jandy 1400. Pump is running 23 hrs and I just had to increase to 50% to keep up with the loss due to sun.
Suggest you test your CYA again before you add. just to confirm what you have in the pool.

Thanks so much guys for all the info.....I don't have a test kit but will purchase one and keep testing to make sure the CYA level up 70. Is there a specific product you recommend to add to the pool in forms of Liquid or granuals to maintain CYA?

From the Wiki CYA --
You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid granular or powder and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more (usually about 3X the price of granular solid CYA), and generally is not worth the extra expense.

Granular stabilizer is found in the United Sates. Powdered stabilizer is found in Australia.[4]

If you use liquid stabilizer you should shake the bottle well and plan on using the entire jug so you can rinse out the bottom to get all those solids out and into the pool. Liquid stabilizer may not fully dissolve and settle to the floor if the water is cold. Brushing is always a good idea when adding something to the pool.

Brand does not matter. Just be sure it is 100% cyanuric acid or isocyanurate.

Thanks so much guys for all the info.....I don't have a test kit but will purchase one and keep testing to make sure the CYA level up 70. Is there a specific product you recommend to add to the pool in forms of Liquid or granuals to maintain CYA?
Home Depot is a good source for Stablizer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.