Chesapeake Beach MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
1000012686.jpgBlack screen, no power??? I'm a chemist, not an electrician! Electricity scares me! So this is my first time asking for help here in five years. I won't mess with the 220v electric, I don't have a voltimeter, I can do lots of things but this wiring scares the Crud out of me. I hate to ask for help but maybe I missed something? (And thanks to EVERYONE, I've had a truly trouble free pool because of these forums.) [Maryland, 2018 38x18 3>9ft 28,000g gunite clover-shaped saltwater pool, Jandy DE filtration, no heater, open May-October. Dolphin pool robot.] I have a degree in chemistry and am super handy and I LOVE my pool, I take meticulous care of it, and so all is right with the world. Until yesterday. This unit (see pic) was working great (I replaced the salt cell last summer) no worries. Turned the pump off last night before another thunderstorm, woke up this morning and checked the unit and it's lit up green but blank. Cool. Turned it all off again to rinse the basket filter, primed the system, turn on, get pressure, check! Check! Look at SWG...now it's gray. Off. Followed all the troubleshooting in the online manual, tested all the breakers, everything checks out. No power. Turned off everything, went inside, turned off power at indoor panel (we have a Generac 8kw with a separate breaker panel--pool/outside is not on it but I switched it off anyway before this whole process), waited 5 minutes or so, flipped outdoor breakers back on in the correct order. Went outside and turned on pump/SWG (they are wired together on one switch with two breakers) and the pump comes on fine but the SWG display lights up green for a second then goes black again.
Time to call a professional? Or any other suggestions? And yes, I held the power button down for 6 seconds. Like, a thousand freaking times. Any other simple tricks? Please and thank you!

Attachments

• 20230910_182731.jpg
    20230910_182731.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible the control unit is fried. Have you considered the AquaPure or FusionSoft as a replacement? That is sized a bit small for your pool anyway. Also it's possible the screen is bad but it's still producing chlorine. Do you still see bubbles coming out the return?

Reactions: therealJBT
Yeah, that is odd. :scratch: With the SWG and pump on the same power source, and the pump receiving power fine, it would be easy to assume the module took a hit during the storm. The one thing I could consider, which we know you don't want to do, is to still check the wiring to ensure something didn't come loose by coincidence. But if everything looks normal on the outside, it may be time to call for an expert. Stand by though, perhaps someone else will have another option to consider.

Try this. Turn it on to full power where you'd know it was definitely producing, let it run for a few minutes, grap an empty water bottle and fill it from right in front of a return so the water shooting out will be the water filling the bottle. Now test that water to see if it's high in FC. This will tell you if it's still producing or not until your next step in the process.

Thanks, everyone! It was fried, my neighbor tested it with his magical witchcraft volt-tester thing and it was dead. I wish I could have explored other options, but I'm rural and I do love and trust my pool company which only sells Jandy. They did come out in a day and replace it, somehow silently and without getting inside and shutting off the power (witchcraft! No, for real though, I'm scared of electricity!).
For your reference if you have this issue, the new control panel was $685 with $125 service call. (My pool company didn't even knock on my door, the manager sent me an email to "pay it whenever." I love living in the sticks!)
But now the pump immediately loses prime the moment I shut it off. Gurgles back down into the pool. To prime it again, within 90 seconds I have to dump a 5 gallon bucket of water into the sealed basket and get the lid back on and flip the switch back on when the level hasn't drained below the pipe intake yet, or it takes 10 minutes to prime and blows air out of every return and port and jet like a 1984 Jacuzzi tub.
I can deal with it for a few more weeks until they close it, I'll have them fix it then.
You guys rock. Thank you!
Ask me any chemistry questions that you're stuck on!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Try this. Turn it on to full power where you'd know it was definitely producing, let it run for a few minutes, grap an empty water bottle and fill it from right in front of a return so the water shooting out will be the water filling the bottle. Now test that water to see if it's high in FC. This will tell you if it's still producing or not until your next step in the process.
My dude, this is genius. I never thought of isolating a sample! My chemistry curiosity is going to do this tomorrow. Also...I use (I know, I know, glass, pool, but hear me out) a glass bottle for testing the water because plastic can instantly change the water chemistry inside the sample. I use a mason jar for water samples (I'm super careful, I swear! No glass in the backyard, ever! Except water sampling, and I only do this sober!)
I have an old glass Snapple bottle and a glass OJ bottle, both with small necks, I'm fascinated now. By how much will a normal sample and a jet sample differ in FC and pH? If I crank up the SWG, how long will it take to show a difference in FC, and by how much? Ooooh fun real-world science!!

Thanks, everyone! It was fried, my neighbor tested it with his magical witchcraft volt-tester thing and it was dead. I wish I could have explored other options, but I'm rural and I do love and trust my pool company which only sells Jandy. They did come out in a day and replace it, somehow silently and without getting inside and shutting off the power (witchcraft! No, for real though, I'm scared of electricity!).
For your reference if you have this issue, the new control panel was $685 with $125 service call. (My pool company didn't even knock on my door, the manager sent me an email to "pay it whenever." I love living in the sticks!)
But now the pump immediately loses prime the moment I shut it off. Gurgles back down into the pool. To prime it again, within 90 seconds I have to dump a 5 gallon bucket of water into the sealed basket and get the lid back on and flip the switch back on when the level hasn't drained below the pipe intake yet, or it takes 10 minutes to prime and blows air out of every return and port and jet like a 1984 Jacuzzi tub.
I can deal with it for a few more weeks until they close it, I'll have them fix it then.
You guys rock. Thank you!
Ask me any chemistry questions that you're stuck on!

Just FYI AquaPure and FusionSoft mentioned above are Jandy products. They have 3 SWG systems - you were sold the worst one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.