Briarcliff Manor, New York
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all, I had an old jandy cell with code 121. I ended up taking it off and cleaning it but it didn't work. So I bought a new one from an online supplier called pool supply unlimited. I just installed the new one. Initially, I had the same code again, 121. Then after about 5 minutes the code went away. Now it seems to be working. Any thoughts? Is this normal for a code to flash with a new cell and then go away? I want to be able to have confidence in this new cell. It also came with a new cord which the manufacturer recommends gets replaced as well and that was also installed. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, low current, or dirty, or old. My last one was old, over 5 years. Annoyed that the new one had the same code. A new cell shouldn't be dirty, old, or have low current, especially if we change the power cord. Right now it's still clear, no code has shown up again yet

Just looking at the picture but not sure of the following, my opinion is the cell should be rotated so the connector is on top and not sideways possibly the plates aren't all getting submerged.
Great observation. Also, the wire connection point as it stands now could allow water to get into the prongs and shorten the life.

Reactions: Tommygarry1
I take mine in for the winter, but I have the Fusion Soft 1400 that is a vessel that holds the cell. I put in a "dummy" cell that is dead to seal the vessel off.

You would need a section of PVC to fill in the void left by taking yours out.

Reactions: Tommygarry1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I leave them all in place. As long as they're drained there's no harm leaving it. I blow the system clear with it installed and If there's residual water I'll disconnect and turn it vertically and once there's no water back it goes.

See

At the end there are links to a couple of troubleshooting guides used to train repair folks.

Basically anything that can interfere with current flow through the cell is suspect. Some possibilities other than the standard ones - cord and bad/dirty cell plates - which are both new in your case:
  • Low voltage from power transformer.
  • Bad connector or connection to or on a board (back board most likely).
  • Bad board causing false code.
  • Burned or otherwise bad relay contact (another way the board goes bad).
  • Board not set up correctly for the cell (700 vice 1400). Unlikely if the cell was ever working correctly for you.
Afaik, a 121 won't cause the cell to stop generating chlorine. So if it's just a false reading, you can take your time getting it fixed.

Last edited:
See

At the end there are links to a couple of troubleshooting guides used to train repair folks.

Basically anything that can interfere with current flow through the cell is suspect. Some possibilities other than the standard ones - cord and bad/dirty cell plates - which are both new in your case:
  • Low voltage from power transformer.
  • Bad connector or connection to or on a board (back board most likely).
  • Bad board causing false code.
  • Burned or otherwise bad relay contact (another way the board goes bad).
  • Board not set up correctly for the cell (700 vice 1400). Unlikely if the cell was ever working correctly for you.
Afaik, a 121 won't cause the cell to stop generating chlorine. So if it's just a false reading, you can take your time getting it fixed.

I believe it only produces 1/2 as much. The cell has an electrical lead at each side of the cell (plus the center). When energized, I think only that side of the cell produces. I am experimenting on this right now since I my cell has the 121 error. It appears to be producing 1/2 as much chlorine. I am at 90% and FC is only at 6.

I believe it only produces 1/2 as much. The cell has an electrical lead at each side of the cell (plus the center). When energized, I think only that side of the cell produces. I am experimenting on this right now since I my cell has the 121 error. It appears to be producing 1/2 as much chlorine. I am at 90% and FC is only at 6.
I'm sure you know this, but the cord provides (or should provide) a dead short between the outer two terminals/sets of plates. So 1/2 production would be explained by a break in the path to one of those. Otoh, since you replaced both cell and cord, that seems very unlikely. Sounds like it's worth stepping through the test procedures in the "Workbook" document to find a root cause.