Jandy PLC 1400 --- What in the world is going on?!

jesse-99

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2021
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Alright so I have (2) Jandy PLC 1400 SWCGs... I'm only going to focus on the second PLC 1400 for now.

6/12/23
Noticed intermittent error code 123 (only in Reverse Flow, though it's intermittent, so the code isn't always showing every single Reverse Flow mode).

6/14/23
Replaced black power cord going to the cell.

6/15/23
Still showing intermittent 123 errors.

Replaced SWG cell unit (with Jandy/Zodiac brand).

6/17/23
Ordered new back PCB board.

6/20/23
Replaced back PCB board.

6/23/23
Still have not seen any 123 errors since replacing back PCB board. (checking 2-3x per day) - 3 days now, no 123 error

6/28/23
Still have not seen any 123 errors since replacing back PCB board. (checking 2-3x per day) - 8 days now, no 123 error

7/1/23
Still have not seen any 123 errors since replacing back PCB board. (checking 2-3x per day) --11 days now, no 123 error

7/2/23, 7/5/23, and 7/6/23
Suddenly seeing intermittent 121 errors - What the heck.....!?!

To recap so far I've replaced the main SWG cell unit, the power cord, and the back PCB. (I did not replace the Tri-Sensor Interface Module (since flow detection isn't an issue, there hasn't been any reason to)
Stumped here. 121 seems less problematic than 123 was but still doesn't make any sense why I'm getting that suddenly.

ANY IDEAS? (tried to call Jandy support today -- automated message of, "We're too busy, please try calling tomorrow".
Do I need to buy one of those Clamp Meters to be able to verify voltage and amperage during the error-free conditions versus when it's reporting the intermittent 121 error code?

Troubleshooting reference from install guide...
1688586317414.png

Thankfully my other SWG is still error free for now (was getting 171/189 codes on that cell (fixed by replacing the back PCB) and then later was getting 120 errors (fixed by 50/50 acid washing cell))

Have you removed the cell and looked if there is any scale on the plates?

Use Stabilent 22 on the pins and contacts of the cord.

The cell is brand-new. Like, 3 weeks old (see notes above). I'm always running my pool at negative CSI, so I can't imagine there was build up in a 3 week timeframe?

Is this the correct Stabilent you're recommending?

Hi James. As noted above, it's the Jandy/Zodiac PLC 1400 cell purchased directly from the Zodiac store. Amazon.com
Salinity was is 3,000.

3 pins. I also bought that electrical lube stuff that ajw22 recommended above. Here's the pic.

20230706_162051.jpg

I hate seeing the cell along the concrete slab like that. I think it keeps the wire connections on both sides in a high moisture environment that electrical connections never like.

20230706_162051-jpg.511112

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no idea if it's a problem, but the position of the cell is not the recommended one. The sensor is supposed to be pointing down, not sideways.

How are you testing salt? You can't trust the sensor. Probably less so with it sideways. You need the Taylor drop test. Low salt means low current.

If it's not salt, this seems like a non-standard failure. You'll need to troubleshoot systematically with a good volt and/or clamp ammeter. This guide has helped me. This one also has a trouble shooting section and may be a bit newer. But be sure you know where you can put your hands. There are some board traces with mains voltage. Don't light up your life. Also don't short anything inadvertently. A few milliseconds can be costly.

I'd definitely follow the flow charts carefully and see where they lead.

An interesting thing is that they explain how to measure millivolts at certain test points as a proxy for real amps to the cell. For me that seems to work well. I didn't want to buy a clamp ammeter for that measurement alone.

Another key measurement is _voltage_ right across the cell pins. If it's too high (over 28v), there is almost definitely too much resistance in the cell. That can be:
  • Low salt.
  • Scale on the plates.
  • Weak power connection somewhere.
  • Gas bubble (air or hydrogen) in the cell. Generally that's due to installation problems plus low flow rate.
  • Defective or worn out cell.
Good luck. I feel your pain. Keeping FC up with liquid chlorine (or pucks if CYA is low enough) while you figure it out is definitely the right way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.