Jandy or Pentair Automation?

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I had local Pool Company rep come over and give my prices on refinishing pool, and adding automation among other things.
I asked for Pentair but they seem to prefer Jandy.
He added a line number for
"Install Jandy RS-PS8 automation pack, 3 JVA valves, Conduit run for new spa light, and remove and replace J-box - $7945"

What your thought on this vs Pentair?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

They sell what they get paid to sell, not which is the best system.

I am a highly biased Pentair guy, so I would go with Pentair, but it is really a "Chevy vs. Ford" thing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jandy Aqualink is a design from the last century that lacks the following:

• Anyway to update the firmware other then replacing chips
  • Over the air firmware updates
  • any recent firmware updates by Jandy
  • any display on the outdoor panel
  • any way to program the panel while standing at the outdoor panel
  • integrated networking
The Pentair IntelliCenter has a color touchscreen control panel on the outdoor panel that allows full programming and control, built in networking, can be updated by USB or OTA, and Pentair is actively fixing bugs and adding new features.

The Aqualink is a simple appliance that Pool Builders like since they don't need to learn new stuff and they get less support calls about it. What you install now is what you will be running forever.

If you want a modern networked pool control system insist on the Pentair IntelliCenter.

The Jandy will do just about anything you ask it to do and I don't really think missing a screen on the outdoor panel is or lacking OTA FW updates when everything already works is a big deal. iAqualink, however, is a travesty.

What IS a critical issue is that Jandy is staunchly anti-consumer and will not sell you parts when something breaks. If you are not one of their precious "certified installers", you are less than nothing to them, and they make that readily apparent by preventing their products from being sold by online retailers and voiding warranties for owner-installed parts. Another consideration is your IntelliFlo pump. While an Aqualink system can control it today, there's no guarantee it always will (e.g. you upgrade to a new Aqualink panel in the future for a new feature). The pool industry is big on vendor lock-in, and as the economy starts a downturn, this problem is likely to return in the future. One more note is that if you decide to go SWCG in the future, the Intellichlor system has bigger cells (better deal for the money) than Jandy offers.

For those reasons, I would only install an IntelliCenter system.

Only thing of note is as far as I know, Aqualink is the only system that has variable valve actuators that allow you to adjust automated valves on the fly in 5% increments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.