Jandy Nicheless LED repair

atttech-2

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 24, 2015
Central Valley CA
I know there have been several threads about nicheless LED lights failing just wanted to share my experience.

Pool will be 3 years old on OCT 30 we noticed this spring that one of the LED lights was not 100% what color we chose. For example if I chose blue most of the LEDs in the light would be blue but one would be red leaving the color muddled. I knew my warranty was 3 years so decided to wait till the end of the season just in case anything else cropped up. In early September the other light started acting up with the same symptom but this one only acted up about 1 in every 3 times we used it. The tech that came out pulled the lights and the one that stated to fail in spring had a pin sized spot of algae under the lens and water droplets inside the light. The other light that just recently started acting up had no visible external signs of damage but when we pulled the cartridge out you could see oxidation on some of the metal parts inside. The tech asked if I wanted to keep the newly acting up light, he said I bet if you let it dry out for a bit it will work just fine. He was right I let it dry for a day and connected it to the transformer to test. I turned it on and off several times and it never acted up. Very cool tech, now not only do I have a spare light I have half a chance of keeping the others working if I am lucky enough to notice problems and catch any leaks early on. I have to wonder if these lights would be more reliable if they did not attempt to make them repairable with a removable lens. If it was a single piece molded sealed body there would be no leak and they could rely on the longevity of the LEDs. The cartridge is 2/3 the cost of a new light so if I ever have a problem beyond my ability to just let it dry out I will probably just buy a whole new light anyway.

Bottom line if you lights start to act weird and are out of warranty, pull it, remove the lens, let it dry for a bit, and reseal you might just save your self a few hundred bucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.