Jandy LT 400k BTU Heater - Nothing on GUI

anonymouscuban

May 19, 2017
Porter Ranch, CA
I have a Jandy LT 400k BTU Gas heater. Installed back in 2005. I've had issues with it over the years that I've been able to troubleshooting and fix. The last one was the GUI needed to be repaired. I sent it out for repair. Everything worked great for a couple of seasons. Last year, I went to fire up the heater for the first time after winter and nothing. No lights at all on the GUI. Zero.

I have the heater connected to an Aqualink Power Center. I used to control everything with a PDA but that finally died so I was left with turning everything on from the Power Center with it in Service mode. I just upgraded the Control Center today using the IQ30-RS upgrade kit. Everything is working but I am unable to add the location to my account. I will be calling their support on Monday, but I digress.

Here is where I'm confused. On the Power Center, there is a Heater button. From what I recall, when this button is off, the heater won't fire. What I don't remember is if the GUI gets power or not. In Service mode, I press the Heater button on the Power Center. The light comes on. I hear a click but it's faint. It's not as loud a click as when I press the Filter button or one of the Aux buttons.

Is the Heater button connected to a relay like the others? I can't seem to trace it to one. If it is, maybe the relay is bad.

The filter is on when I am trying this. Adequate water flow is running through the pump. I don't think that has anything to do with this issue since the GUI is even turning on. I thought I'd mention it.

Can you not run the Heater when in Service mode? Maybe that's it. I honestly don't recall if the last time I ran the heater was when the PDA was working or not.

At any rate, I could use some help before I go out and buy a new heater for no reason. I have a multimeter and know enough to be dangerous with it so I'm willing to troubleshoot the issue with some guidance. By the way, I did test the voltage coming out of the Transformer to the GUI and I'm getting 28.4VAC. I'm know the transformer is 24VAC so I don't know if maybe this is the issue.

As always, appreciate the help.
- Alex

Update. So I found the thread I made 3 years ago when I had the Temp Control Board repaired. It looks like the same thing again. Same symptom. BP Electronics repaired it but it seems like he may have retired because his website domain is for sale.

I found some used ones for just a tad more. So now I have to decide, keep throwing money at this thing or buy a new heater?

Quick update to close things out.

I did confirm that it was a bad Temp Control board. They don’t make them anymore but I did source some used, working units locally for about $200. However, I decided to replaced the heater as it was now 18 years old and the last several, I had to do work on it each year to get it going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.