Jandy JXi heater toast, need help

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So I rarely use the heater, last time was a year ago, turned on pool heat yesterday, I heard the pump speed up but the heater did not fire up. When to look at the heater control panel, it’s dead, no display. No breakers tripped, any first suggestion? Oh, it’s only 5 years old.

0D920A6C-7151-4988-9D39-EB48B7E7B421.jpeg8884F60A-9E91-42EA-99A4-4E733045A26B.jpeg11872585-784B-46D0-AAA6-87EF24D7B6FD.jpeg
Clearly we have a problem here, looks like something shorted out and created a small fire? How this occurred I have no idea? I never use the Dang heater, I hope this can be fixed by just replacement of the small board but not sure what board it is and will this fix the issue? Thoughts?

Lucky strike, it's toasted!

I'm no heater expert, never owned or worked on one, just a handy googler.

That looks like the part I linked but you'll have to find a manufacturer parts diagram for your exact model to confirm. And as for whether it will fix it... probably, I think.

The wiring's a little fried so you'll have to decide if you just see if it'll make it, or if the state of it is unacceptable in which case further wiring work would be required. Try pulling those two bottom connectors and see if they come off intact.

So I just realized I posted in the wrong sub forum. Fast forward, I have not used the heater in about 9-12 months, it’s been in service since 8/2016. Tried to heat the pool the other day but the heater did not come on, no power at the control panel on the heater. Check breakers not issue, from panel and it appears there was a pretty bad short on the small transformer board, see photos, looks like a bad short, not sure how this happened? So thoughts on repairing? I‘m very handy, but I also know that’s 240v stuff. I saw some others had this issue. Can I just purchase a new board and transformer and replace? Or should I call in a Pro?

38AF358E-46A1-479A-A0CB-3334F4947B5F.jpeg

Attachments

• ABF886AB-1D38-4F69-94B7-EC01A684BA13.jpeg
    ABF886AB-1D38-4F69-94B7-EC01A684BA13.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 6D616582-A23B-400A-9A22-933202576648.jpeg
    6D616582-A23B-400A-9A22-933202576648.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 4
The board and the transformer are pretty straightforward and the OEM transformer includes the bottom right 3 pin connector. The bottom left 5 pin connector is part of the blower/combustion air motor and may not be available seperately if it is too damaged to provide a good connection. You should also check the blower motor to make sure that the motor windings are not shorted to each other or to ground.

Well for the benefit of others I am providing a update. The board and transformer are toast as i thought. Will never own jandy equipment again, this is a joke to have this blow after using this heater maybe 15 times over the past 58 months.

I am going to see if the tech will install an inline fuse in front of the transformer to prevent this from happening again. Jandy pretty much said “sorry”.

Well for the benefit of others I am providing a update. The board and transformer are toast as i thought. Will never own jandy equipment again, this is a joke to have this blow after using this heater maybe 15 times over the past 58 months.

I am going to see if the tech will install an inline fuse in front of the transformer to prevent this from happening again. Jandy pretty much said “sorry”.
Jandy had a run of bad transformers last year that were taking out the power distribution board as well. I'm talking every heater we put in the field failing at least once and some 3 or 4 times.
They made a revision to the transformers so make sure the one you get has a green dot sticker on it.

Reactions: Titan7
Do you have a photo of the label on the new transformer? Looks like I will need to figure this out myself. The company that was doing the work took the board and transformer out, they replaced the transformer with a used unit and claimed not to be able to find the board. When I called the, out on the used part they refused to come back out. Wonderful, hoping to be able to figure this out, I picked up the new board and the transformer will be here tomorro.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well it’s done, heater is working again, was really hard to get info here so if anyone else runs into this problem please feel free to contact me. I am attaching a photo of the new revision Jxi transformer.

Attachments

• 8784E534-62D7-4263-B80B-822E2BFDCBE4.jpeg
    8784E534-62D7-4263-B80B-822E2BFDCBE4.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 28
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.