Jandy JXI 400N Makes a Whining Sound When Heating

Achilles1362

Feb 28, 2022
NY
My Jandy JXI 400 is about a year old makes a whining sound when heating starts - the noise starts seconds after the burner lights. The noise is a fluctuating whining sound. Removed the manifold, tested the thermal regulator - it opens at 120 degrees F. The inlet and outlet tubes are clear of obstruction and calcification. I tested the gas pressure at inlet to be 7.4 inches of WC. When the unit lights it goes down to 4.5 inches of WC. No error codes and the pool heats. What is could be causing the whining sound? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The unit is indoors, gets its combustible air from outside with the intake air kit. The combusted air venting is approximately 3 feet directly out of the pump room.

Also are there any specs on torquing the manifold nuts on this unit? I can't find the specs anywhere.

is this a new problem?

You say the heater is a year old. How long has it been making the whining sound?

Show us pics of your heater installation.

is this a new problem?

You say the heater is a year old. How long has it been making the whining sound?

Show us pics of your heater installation.
Last few months it has started. I'll send the pictures. And Thank you!
I had to zip the mp3 file to allow the upload. For what its worth the flame through the eyepiece is blue and clean.

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpg
    IMG_2892.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 13
  • Pool Heater Whining Noise.zip
    208.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
What does your full exhaust system look like?

What provides intake air to the heater?

1700428371514.png

What does your full exhaust system look like?

What provides intake air to the heater?

View attachment 541267

Jandy JXI Pool Heater 3 Inch AIR INTAKE ADAPTER KIT | R0724600 You can see the air intake pipe in the picture. It goes outside and elbows down. The combustion expended air goes directly out the left side of the unit, also pictured and elbows out. both exhaust and air intake seem strong with no restrictions. Thanks

The exhaust piping is no more than 4 feet total and the same with the air intake.

I don't hear a whining sound. A whining is a higher pitched whistle caused by gas or air flow. I hear a huffing or puffing of the exhaust.

I suspect that your exhaust vent or air intake does not meet all the specifications described in the Installation Manual. Such as both being in the same pressure zone and having the correct positive or negative pressure.

You may have a change of winds around your house that is interacting with your venting.

I need to pictures of what you have, not words, to point out more.

1700442017984.png

1700442093578.png

I don't hear a whining sound. A whining is a higher pitched whistle caused by gas or air flow. I hear a huffing or puffing of the exhaust.

I suspect that your exhaust vent or air intake does not meet all the specifications described in the Installation Manual. Such as both being in the same pressure zone and having the correct positive or negative pressure.

You may have a change of winds around your house that is interacting with your venting.

I need to pictures of what you have, not words, to point out more.

View attachment 541304

View attachment 541305
Here they are. White PVC is air intake Exhaust is metal. And a combined picture. The distance between the two is within specification based on the venting literature that you have kindly provided from the manual. Specifically the unit is 1 year 5 months old and did not exhibit this behavior until ~ 3 months ago. Nothing in the system has changed in the interim. (i.e. there was no noise coming from the unit for the first13 months or so. Thanks for your support - this is driving me crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 7
The vent pipe should not point down.

As a test I would loosen the worm clamp and rotate the pipe up and see if the sound changes.

img_2898-jpg.541310

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would also check the thermal regulator valve in the heater and your pump/valves to be sure it is getting enough water (are you using a VS pump or do you have multiple valves to direct the flow of water?).

I would also check the thermal regulator valve in the heater and your pump/valves to be sure it is getting enough water (are you using a VS pump or do you have multiple valves to direct the flow of water?).
No VS pump. 1 HP Hayward pump. The heater never had a problem for 13 months with the same pump. I pulled the manifold and tested the thermal regulator. It opens at 120 degrees F. tested it multiple times. I'm going to test the outlet gas pressure to see if I get -.2 inches of WC. I'm waiting on the T fitting to arrive so I can use the manometer on it. I'll report back when I get the reading. I do have the Versa-FLo on the unit and I can hear it clicking on/off when there is a call for heat and when heating stops so I know that's working.

Anything else I can check or test. It's very frustrating. Thanks for all the help.

Direct sidewall venting for the heater is not correct. Exhaust should not be elbowed down towards the ground (also clearance to ground/snow). Intake (combustion air) and exhaust should exit at the same height (exhaust byproducts are hot and tend to rise and if exhaust is lower than intake for combustion air there is a good chance for combustion air intake to pull in combustion byproducts (not much O2) from the exhaust causing inadequate combustion air) . Normally direct sidewall venting is not permitted within 36" of an inside corner. Complete signature would be helpful ( indoor or outdoor pool?) as would photos of entire space that pool equipment is in and also photo of venting termination from farther back to include the entirety of the house. Noise does seem to pulsate somewhat so a differential manometer would be helpful to see if either air pressure switch pressures or gas pressure are both steady or also pulsating.

Direct sidewall venting for the heater is not correct. Exhaust should not be elbowed down towards the ground (also clearance to ground/snow). Intake (combustion air) and exhaust should exit at the same height (exhaust byproducts are hot and tend to rise and if exhaust is lower than intake for combustion air there is a good chance for combustion air intake to pull in combustion byproducts (not much O2) from the exhaust causing inadequate combustion air) . Normally direct sidewall venting is not permitted within 36" of an inside corner. Complete signature would be helpful ( indoor or outdoor pool?) as would photos of entire space that pool equipment is in and also photo of venting termination from farther back to include the entirety of the house. Noise does seem to pulsate somewhat so a differential manometer would be helpful to see if either air pressure switch pressures or gas pressure are both steady or also pulsating.
I will provide more complete pictures. The distance from combustion air vent and exhaust air is within the spec of the manual and combustion venting is pointed away from intake air. This configuration has existed and was trouble-free for over a year. I understand your point regarding the height of the intake air and will send a better set of pictures - Thank you for your support.

I have to wait until tomorrow for the outside venting as it is dark here already. This is the pump room with the pool on the other side of the Jandy box. The pump floor is even with the pool slab and coping. If you need a picture of the pool I can provide you with that also. From the pump wall with the Jandy box there is approximately 3 feet to the pool proper. You can see the PVC intake combustion air connected to the unit in the pictures now that the heater cover is laying on top of the unit. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 10
Still no signature filled out for pool. Other than previously noted potential problems, venting may also be too close to window and exhaust may cause deterioration of AC/HP condenser coil. Is the heater installed in a mudroom? No idea of where pool is situated in relation to the exhaust and AC/HP condensing unit. More thorough photos of the entirety of the house, venting and pool would be helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.