Jandy Jxi 400 full of water

lodi

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2019
Atlanta
I have a two-year-old Jandy JX I 400 spa and pool heater. My son went to fire up the spa a couple nights ago and got an ignition step error. The last time we used the spa was probably two weeks prior. Called my maintenance guy to take a look and the first thing he noticed is that the tank is full of water. You could see it from the exhaust manifold. He is going to come back tomorrow, but in the meantime, I removed the igniter and I’m siphoning out the water so it’s dry when he gets here. I called Jandy and they said this could be a result of rain. I’m in Atlanta and we have had a ton of weather over the winter so I suppose that could be possible, although this would be concerning. Does anyone concur that this could be a result of rain? If not, what other issues should we look for? I spent almost $5000 on this heater in December 2020 so I’m not excited about the prospect of replacing it again or paying for an expensive repair. Your expertise and thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

I have a two-year-old Jandy JX I 400 spa and pool heater. My son went to fire up the spa a couple nights ago and got an ignition step error. The last time we used the spa was probably two weeks prior. Called my maintenance guy to take a look and the first thing he noticed is that the tank is full of water. You could see it from the exhaust manifold. He is going to come back tomorrow, but in the meantime, I removed the igniter and I’m siphoning out the water so it’s dry when he gets here. I called Jandy and they said this could be a result of rain. I’m in Atlanta and we have had a ton of weather over the winter so I suppose that could be possible, although this would be concerning. Does anyone concur that this could be a result of rain? If not, what other issues should we look for? I spent almost $5000 on this heater in December 2020 so I’m not excited about the prospect of replacing it again or paying for an expensive repair. Your expertise and thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!
Does the water in the combustion chamber increase with the pump on? It could also come out of the combustion blower. If so there is a leak in the heat exchanger. I've seen it a couple of times with a Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm, a very similar heater. If not, it is from an external source. Does rain from your roof spill onto the heater? If so, get a gutter up there as that will destroy a heater.

Most likely a leaking heat exchanger.

@PoolGate did the thread below on how he replaced his heat exchanger....

I suspect your heat exchanger is cracked. My post referenced above lists what's involved with replacement. There is no way rain filled it.

I think you are right about the heat exchanger. I will check out the post on replacing it. Appreciate your help. Will update this thread when I sort it out. Thanks!

I believe warranty is 24 months though. It might still be in warranty.

OK, I put everything back together after siphoning the water out of the tank last night and it fired right up this morning. It’s been running about 30 minutes. I’m letting it run for a while to dry things out, then I’ll remove the igniter to see if the tank is staying dry. Could there be anything related to how its plumbed that would result in this issue? My last heater was replaced due to a leak as well.

@PoolGate Thank you for the outstanding thread on repairing your heater. Thanks to you I have a much better understanding of how the unit is assembled. My first heater failed after five years. If I had seen your thread back then I would have tried to repair it. I think it was the same issue. The pool companies don’t get into these types of repairs. They just want to replace. Crazy!

Attached are pictures of how the unit is plumbed. Let me know if you see anything unusual.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 6EEE304D-1492-4186-B238-C1F0E52243E2.jpeg
    6EEE304D-1492-4186-B238-C1F0E52243E2.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 11
  • F9A53C86-824F-4CCC-8527-642C05E03D5A.jpeg
    F9A53C86-824F-4CCC-8527-642C05E03D5A.jpeg
    725.9 KB · Views: 11
It looks like you have the Versaflo on your heater. If so you should have a 5 year Heat Exchanger Warranty.

1678475865792.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, since I emptied the water out of the tank everything seems to be working perfectly. I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the heater enclosure so I can easily detect leaks and so far nothing. I will remove the igniters and inspect the inside of the tank sometime next week. If its leaking I will push Jandy since the unit is only 2 years old. Thanks for the input and help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.