Jandy JVA2440 - cheap microswitch replacement

Apr 29, 2018
Austin TX
This is my first post - greetings to all!

If you have a Jandy JVA2440 automatic valve actuator (or similar Jandy model) and you have a failed microswitch (the valve won't move in one direction, or perhaps over-rotates), and you've looked at replacing the microswitch, you were shocked like I was when an Amaz*n vendor wanted $35 for a two-buck microswitch. I looked up the Omron replacement microswitch, available widely for <$2.

The specifics:
Original microswitch: Johnson XCGS-J1Z1 (this part is $35 on Amaz*n, or only $1.53 each, if you order 2000 - yikes)
Exact replacement: Omron SS-5GLT (now we're talking; ~$1.50 plus shipping on-line; I recommend dealing with a real parts supplier, like Mouser)

A few notes on the replacement procedure:

* disconnect power
* remove the external handle and plastic bolt
* remove the 4 phillips-head screws and work the top of the JVA off (it is a little snug)
* locate the microswitches (you will replace one or both)

To replace the microswitch:

* make note of the microswitch's orientation
* unscrew the two phillips-head screws from the top of the microswitch and release the cover from the switch cradle
* remove the microswitch from the cradle (it is a tight fit)
* remove the electrical contact lugs from the old microswitch (noting that they are probably on the outermost two contacts, NC)
* replace the lugs on the new microswitch
* replace the microswitch in the cradle (this takes a little care and thumb-force, but it will go back in)
* replace the microswitch cover on the cradle with the two phillips-head screws

Now, put back on the top of the JVA and you should be good to go.

BTW, I have 4 spare Omron microswitches, just enough for a pair of JVA valves. PM me if you need some.

Regards to all,

Willie

Reactions: Brayne
Belated thank you to Willie! Hope things are good by you.
I think this is the answer to my situation. I have solar and everything except the actuator opening to the roof checks out.
I use a Zodiac automation system and a heat pump backup. When the solar switches on, I get the red operating light on the One Touch and the variable speed pump kicks into solar mode, but the actuator won't turn. Oddly, it does turn to close the roof port once I manually open it (as long as the toggle is set correctly).
I'll open everything up, but I'm thinking the micro-switch should be replaced - may as well do both of them while I'm at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.