Jandy Heater versafo not working?

bdr100

Oct 4, 2023
Houston, TX
I have a Jandy Jxi gas pool heater (natural gas). I just had a Generac whole house generator installed which used the gas line going to the pool heater to tee off and supply the generator. In accordance with code they added a regulator to the line going to pool heater. I thought to test the pool heater and noticed it would now not come on. The plumber who ran the gas line for generator said that this might be due to low gas pressure since I do not have a high pressure gas meter. They said that now that they will now request a meter upgrade (high pressure) from our gas supplier (they couldn't request this until all equipment was installed.) At first I thought this must be the problem, but after playing with system a little, I noticed a possible issue with the Versaflo connected to the Jandy heater.

Normally, when I kick on the heater, you can clearly hear the versaflo kicking open (openning flow into heater.) The sound of the versaflo is usually so loud that I can hear it while sitting in hot tub with jets flowing 75 ft away. But now, no clunk sound.

I am inclined to dismiss the gass meter being the issue since the heater had worked fine for past 3 or 4 years with old meter. I think installing a higher pressure meter is more for if I need to have mutiple gas appliances running at same time. Right now when testing the heater, it is the only gas appliance in use, so pressure should not be an issue.

So I am now thinking that a faulty Versaflo may be my cause for heater not kicking on. Anyone know how to troubleshoot a Versaflo and if faulty, is the only fix to replace?

Welcome to TFP.

How old is your heater with Versaflo?

If it is still under warranty make a warranty claim.

Jandy has had a bunch of problems with the actuator mechanism on the Versaflo.

Heater is almost 4 years old, so out of warranty. So sounds like Versaflo failure is common. Is it repairable or just buy new one and replace?

If the equipment was installed by a professional, it may have a 5 year warranty. Mine did. Check and see before doing anything. I have a new versaflow I might be willing to part with if you get no joy from Jandy.

If the equipment was installed by a professional, it may have a 5 year warranty. Mine did. Check and see before doing anything. I have a new versaflow I might be willing to part with if you get no joy from Jandy.
Heater was installed by a pool professional but it was purchased online, so I doubt warranty is good.

On the subject of trying to diagnose issue, is my assumption that when I turn on heater, the first thing to happen should be the versaflo would open to allow water to flow through heater and then, the heater would try to ignite? Since I just had the generator installed in which plumber added a regulator to the line going to the heater, at first, this seamed like the most likely cause. But if my assumption of versaflo needing to open flow into heater first before the heater will even try to ignite, and I varify that versaflo is not opening, then that eliminates any issue with gas flow is cause of heater not starting.

Just trying to avoid spending $$ to have pool tech come look at heater and tell me my issue is gas flow and then have to go back to plumber (that was contracted by generator contractor) to have them fix gas line issues.

But if my assumption of versaflo needing to open flow into heater first before the heater will even try to ignite, and I varify that versaflo is not opening, then that eliminates any issue with gas flow is cause of heater not starting.

Versaflo needs to open and water needs to flow through heater to engage the pressure switch in the heater.

Without any water flow the heater pressure switch will not let the heater fire up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.