Apr 16, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a salt pool and started noticing salt flakes on the Baja shelf about a year after the pool was built. Our pool guy installed a Jandy energy filter right after the salt cell as a solution, but I’m not sure about this. Is this a legitimate use of an energy filter? From everything I’ve read, energy filters are usually installed before your main filtration system, not after.

Welcome to TFP!

Calcium flakes are a symptom of bad water chemistry. Your pool guy is just covering up his inability to properly balance your pool. Take a look at the set of articles below. If you feel like you want to take over control of your pool, let us know and we can help.

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: zzyzx999
We have a salt pool and started noticing salt flakes on the Baja shelf about a year after the pool was built. Our pool guy installed a Jandy energy filter right after the salt cell as a solution, but I’m not sure about this. Is this a legitimate use of an energy filter? From everything I’ve read, energy filters are usually installed before your main filtration system, not after.
Energy Filter is a stand-alone after the pump with the outlet going to a cleaner. Flakes will quickly clog that tiny element.

Thank you @1poolman1 and @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta for your quick responses - you have confirmed my suspicions. I'm a total noob when it comes to pool chemistry, but I just read the ABC's of Pool Chemistry that was posted here and I gather that I probably have a high CH problem. I think next step is to get a pool water testing kit (I see TF-100, the Tf-Pro or Taylor K-2006C recommended - will any of these be suitable for me?) and I'll post my results here. Any other tips in the meantime? As additional info, we live in the Los Angeles area, have PebbleTec PebbleFina finish, and it's an outdoor pool that we cover every night. Please let me know if any of these factors might contribute to the situation.

Scale from the SWG is usually the result of the relationship between TA, pH, and CH. With a recommended test kit, adjustments can be achieved to reduce or eliminate scale. The kits at Tftestkits.net provide the best value. They use Taylor reagents, but reagent sizing is optimized for the single-pool owner. I purchased the TF-100, Speed Stir and Salt kit before the "Pro" kits became available. Now, I would opt for the TF-Pro Salt. If the "Smart Stir" is not available, you can order the Speed Stir separately.

The cost of the kit will result in future savings. Think about the cost of the unnecessary filter...

We're here to help you out. When you get the kit, test and post results.

All of the TFP recommended test kits include the FAS/DPD FC/CC drop test. This is the most essential part of the test kit because it can provide accurate results up to 50 ppm. The OTO test is more of a color interpretation test and is only good for up to 5 ppm. It doesn't provide the level of accuracy necessary to properly maintain your pool. You can fact check this, but I believe all of the TF test kits include both types of tests. The Taylor-based test vary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.